Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was shopping around on overbooststore.com and found a new ACT cluct for $315. i was wandering if they make good clutches and if i should think about buying this? im in very bad need for a clutch so any kind of opinion would help. thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i was also wandering how ACT compares to other products how there for around this price...im willing to spend any kind of money for the right clutch but i just dont know how makes good ones besides cluchmasters and rr-racing. pleae inform me on anything if you know. thanks again

·
Registered
679 Posts
Go check ou Spec clutches. I know a few guys running them in their 6's and they really like them. Their holding power is far superior to that of ACT or Clutchmasters. http://www.speclutches.com/specMain.html

Josh

·
Registered
679 Posts
unkiedave said:
better than clutch masters? CM seems like the big favorite pick.
Not many people in the Probe/Mx6 world know of Spec. Spec is a big name in the V8 world. Almost everyone I know with Camero SS's has a Spec Stage 3. I did a holding capacity comparison one time on the Spec's for the 4cyl and CM was a 70% over stock compared to a Spec's 210% over stock. Both of these were their Stage 1's

Josh

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Clutchmasters bite when it comes down to making more power.I fried my stage three in a year and a half.I am currently running a spec stage 3 and I am very satisfied with it's performance.I also ran a spec stage 3 in my low 11 sec. mustang.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats my problem...its my daily driver but it will be taking trips to the track. should i still look into the spec???

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
All spec stage 1-3 are spring loaded just like clutchmasters.My stage 3 has very nice engagement not to hard or ruff at all.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
add me to the "not as happy with cm3" list - basically.. it holds good in gear, but now that i am boosted, if its at all hot (meaning the clutch) ie: after a few runs, or a long drive - my 1-2 and 2-3 shift are just barely starting to slip. i dont anticipate more than a year on this clutch :\

however i really like the cm's engagement.,. very soft, which on a daily driven sit-in-traffic-car like mine often is - is a huge plus.

the spec clutches - how is the engagement? how is the pedal feel/pressure? is it hard on the flywheel?

tanx :)

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
The engagement is nice it's pretty soft.As far as pedal feel and pressure I can tell you the difference between the cm and spec is the spec is let's say one pop.When you push the clutch in it is one solid motion it doesn't feel mushy like my cm's did.I finally was able to get on it today(damn break in period)All I have to say is wow.My car for some reason feels stronger with the spec.It is kind of hard to explain.I can tell you this spec clutch is solid.From 1-2 I have a good amount of wheel hop and from 2-3 I have a nice chirp.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
CM sound more and more like the perfect replacement for then non FI 6 and SPEC maybe for the FI guys??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, im not boosting...(yet)! but have much plans to...id like to try spec out now that i hear only good things about it. Where can i get one?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks alot for all yalls feedback..i think ive decided to go with the stage III spec clucth...thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts