Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently lost the use of one cylinder on my KL03 which might have been caused from a mechanic who possibly did a shotty job on a helicoil and left shavings inside. I had a sparkplug forced out of its threading stripping it.

Can anyone offer any ideas as to what might be wrong with the cylinder? (i will take it for a compression test soon)

I ask as I've been considering installing a ZE but from researching am torn between the ZE or repairing my 03. I only consider the repair because I've seen information on the ZE's mentioning that upon reprogramming the ECU's the engine loses horsepower and considerably I could put around the same amount of money into my 03 giving me pretty much the same expected performance from the ZE. If this is the case, does anyone know how much HP is lost with the reprorammed ECU?

Is it within reason though that I still come out ahead with the ZE as I am coming out above the 03 in HP still after the new ECU settings and still have other modifications to add HP while the 03 will have less HP after additional modifications and the repair.

Other modifications that would be done to both engines being; a home depot CAI , a performance exhaust system, new clutch, and in the future lighter rims.

Am I reading good information on this?

In defense of the 03; what could be done to that engine on a budget of $2,000 to max its HP potential?

I'm pretty torn between the two at the moment and welcome any input people have.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Did it ever work or was there no compression from the word go?
Whare I'm going is… Do you think the mechanic may have just not put the coil in correctly, Thus not seating correctly therefor giving no compression?
Or did the shavings ‘scratch up’ the cylinder?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It never worked upon having the helicoil done, was fine prior to that. I had another mechanic look at it and he said that it was done properly, I'm still getting spark there. That's why I lean towards the shavings. I'll know for sure once I start taking things apart. If that's the case would I have a lawsuit? He had overcharged for the helicoil really taking advantage of the situation I was in and this is why I also go with the shavings ~ he was attempting to pad the bill a little by ruining the cylinder.

Technically speaking, once the sparkplug was reseated everything should have worked no. So, the possible answers are the one that you mentioned an unproperly installed coil leaving no compression or the shavings that scrathed the cylinder?

Might there be any other possibilites?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If the shavings did not score your cylinder walls, you may get off as easy as just replacing the offending cylinder head. Of course you would not know until you removed the head, which is no easy job in itself.

Was this on the front or rear bank?

Tyson

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I doubt it very much ..It’s too coincidental...
One of the valves may be stuck open or something?? But not as likely given the circumstance.

F. the lawsuit get him on Jerry Springer Show.
I can see it now “When Mechanics Attack” Jerry Jerry Jerry
:p
Just trying to cheer you up a bit mate...It must realy suck...
Good luck
Mr MX6

1 - 5 of 5 Posts