Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just got a simple question, would a Deep Cycle Optima Battery help my lights from dimming when the bass hits? I already got a 1 farad cap, and it doesn't seem to be enough. Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
From AMG Audio

There are many reasons why your lights might dim when a heavy bass note hits.

First check your current battery and electrical system.
Then check the earth on your equipment, the cable should be as thick as the power cable and be as short as possible.

If all of the above is cool, then a second battery will offer some help but necessarily cure all of the problems.

I assume that your power cap is correctly wired and it is often better used with a second battery and kept as close to the amp as possible.

If you were thinking of just replacing you current battery with an Optima, this might not be enough.

In my MX6 I have two seriously power hungry amps, GENESIS Monoblock which can draw 170amps at full tilt and a GENESIS 5 channel which can draw about half that.

I don't use a cap because I KNOW that I DO NOT NEED ONE. There is much HIPE about caps.

My Cap-less car has one red top optima as my main battery and two special car audio batteries in the boot. One battery for each amp. There is also a twin 200amp split charge relay system feeding each battery.

With the air con on, heated rear window and headlights, when my system is playing loud, I never see my headlights dim EVER.

The key to all of the above is in power supply and the better you make it the easier it gets.

Do not be seduced by power caps, they look good, but on amps as good as the GENESIS, power caps are already built into the amp at the design stage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm not running that advanced of a system yet. I just have some average stuff. As for the batteries, mines dead anyways, so should I replace it with a red top optima? Also, I only have the 2.0L, so I think it makes less amps...

·
Registered
164 Posts
From AMG Audio

No problem.
The red top Optima is for starting your car only.
The yellow top Optima is their car audio battery.

Some people have one of each. If you are going for just one then settle for the red top, it is also cheaper. The yellow top was never designed for starting cars although it will.

You might like to consider checking out the electrics and maybe getting an uprated alternator.

The yellow top is a deep cycle battery, the blue top is their marine battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts