Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a new battery today, an optima redtop. they're on at cosco for only $130 which is the main reason i bough it. the battery cables werent quite long enough to reach the terminals so i modded them to be a lil longer and now they are the side type with the screw in. but my main question is what exactly makes them better if they are at all or is it just a gimmic? this battery puts out 910 cranking amps and 750 cold cranking amps which is significantly more than the factory battery.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I opted for a Yellowtop. I had originally bought it for $200 after having 2 shops go through a price battle for me. :D My initial intention was to eliminate the dimming of my headlights when the bass from my then-subwoofer hit. Worked perfectly.

Now, I'm glad I have it because IT NEVER DIES! I store the car up to 7 months at a time, and not once have I had a problem with the battery when I got to start it back up, no charging required whatsoever.

But keep in mind, the Yellowtop is a deep cycle battery and is a step up from the Redtop

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i noticed the yellowtop is a deep cycle but it puts out less crancking amps than the red, and since im not running a crazy audio setup and it gets very cold where i live in the winter -40 deg Celcius sometimes, i think i need all the cold crancking amps i can get

·
Registered
245 Posts
They're both considered deep cycle dry/gel cells. The yellow is better for stereos when the car is off. Red is good for everyday usage like a regular. The yellow has a slower discharge rate, but in turn, also has a slower charge rate, being a "deeper" cycle battery.

I've been around these batteries waaaay too much years ago... lol

EDIT : Bshark, did you do the big 3 upgrade? It totally eliminated my dimming... And I use a walmart battery! lol

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
big 3? No idea what that is...all I did to eliminate the dimming was get the Yellowtop, which fixed the issue for me :shrug:

·
Registered
245 Posts
big 3? No idea what that is...all I did to eliminate the dimming was get the Yellowtop, which fixed the issue for me :shrug:
You would upgrade 3 wires in your electrical which would make a world of difference. It was the alt-positive, tranny-negative, body-negative. Adding these three wires, believe it or not, would make a huge difference.

It's quite possible that the battery made a difference, as it is a high performance battery, but I would go full out to solve any electrical issues I had.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The red top is what Optima recommends as a starting battery, and the yellow top is meant to be a secondary battery. They are great batteries, on my first car my alternator belt snapped 45 minutes from my house, the car got me back late at night, then started the next morning to drive 15 minutes to pep boys. Last week I forgot a light on in my car around 2 PM, came back the next morning and she started up fine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
True deep cycle batteries aren't meant to be used as a starting battery as they have lower cold-cranking amps. They're for secondary power supplies like campervan/motorhomes to power the extra electrics. Also marine use. Their ability to handle large numbers of discharges down to about 20% and consequent recharging is what distinguishes them from a starter battery.

I suspect the yellow top is actually a hybrid, giving the benefits of both.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
indeed, the red top is the dedicated starting battery and is good for smaller audio systems. When you upgrade it's recommended that you get a yellow top ALSO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts