Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,
I am sure that somewhere someone probably asked this question, if so I am sorry, but I have a '93 stock 5 spd...I was wondering if there was anything i could add to improve the power and speed on the car...what i am thinking about for now is just little add-ons that i could do at home for now...Like maybe wires, spark plugs...anything like that that would help performance...later i would add others that i have to do in a shop...any suggestions would be great thank you

·
Registered
257 Posts
dude thats REALLY general. narrow it down a little and i'll be GLAD to help. but there's just too many to list without narrowin it down.

HOW MUCH $ YOU WANNA SPEND?
CONCERNED MORE ABOUT LOOKS OR RAW HORSEPOWER?
SOUND A CONCERN?LOUD OR QUIET?

start by answerin those ??s, we'll take it from there.

L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry man, I am kinda new to the whole performance thing...thats why...I guess less looks and just stuff to soup up the engine...maybe get some more power from it...somethings i can just add on myself...the reason i can't say more is that i have no real idea whats out there and whats what...maybe some real simple things for now...honestly man if no one can answer i understand...I just don't know too much what to write...just wanted to get a feel for whats out there

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
start with a cat-back. or a pulley or something.

·
Registered
257 Posts
now i feel bad... :(

i meant no offense by that man, sorry if there was any taken. :D

ok, quick rundown with approx price brackets for early mods and what they'll do for ya:

COLD AIR INTAKE** 3-5hp, IMPROVED THROTTLE RESPONSE AND SLIGHT IMPOROVEMENT IN ENGINE SOUND...$50-$200
:D
CAT-BACK EXHAUST** 5-9hp, IMPROVED POWER, LOUDER, BETTER SOUND(in some cases) VISIBLE, COSMETIC...$200-$600
LOWERING SPRINGS** MUCH IMPROVED CORNERING AND HANDLING. VERY NICE APPEARANCE, AGGRESSIVE STANCE...$175-$250
START WITH THOSE, WE CAN BUILD FROM THERE. PICK ONE AND I'LL ELABORATE ON IT WITH MORE DETAIL. IT REALLY DOES DEPEND ON WHICH YOU WANT...SHOW OR GO.

SHOW- OF COURSE YOU CAN DO RIMS(AFTER you lower), KITS, LIGHTING, YADDA YADDA YADDA.

GO- YOU CAN DO THROTTLE BODY, MANIFOLD, PHENOLICS, HEAD PORTING, HEADERS, TEST PIPE, UPGRADED PLUGS N WIRES, SHORT SHIFTER, CLUTCH, FLYWHEEL, NOS, SUPERCHARGE OR TURBO YADDA YADDA YADDA.

BUT AGAIN, YOUR WANTS AND FINANCIAL ABILITIES ARE A MAJOR FACTOR ALSO.

LET ME KNOW WHICH ROUTE YOU WANNA GO AND WE''LL GO FROM THERE.

HOPE THIS HELPED:D
L8R
NICK
BLUMX6

[Edited by BLUMX6 on 02-10-2001 at 02:12 AM]

·
Registered
488 Posts
One suggestion to try first is if the car is still bone stock and you don't know what general maintenence has been done to it, start with the basics. Replace the plugs and wires, check the valve covers for oil in the plug wells. If there is any replace the valve cover gaskets, this would also be a great time to install phenoic spacers. Replace the PCV valve and fuel filter. Adjust the TPS, see Mike's page for instructions on how. Pull all the codes fromt he ECU to see what might be wrong to start with, check the link to the SCPOC in my signature for instructions. I think that should cover most of the preparation basics, there are probably othrs but strat here then more on to upgrading other parts. The most expensive thing in this list would be the plugs and wires, between $120-290. Everthing else is in the $80 and under range, some of it's free.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts