·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Protip:

If you think you're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, don't
sit down and make a list!

To do, essentially in order:

Install Energy Suspension bushings in rear (once correct crush tubes arrive from ES)
Install Tein Flex coilovers in rear
Set coilovers to 11 clicks from full stiff (fronts to 9 from full stiff)
Put forgotten dustboot on FL coilover (d'oh!)
Clean, grease, and install new upper balljoint boots
Install new lower balljoints
Install new tie-rod ends
Set ride height at all four corners
Check on slight coolant and power steering leaks
Alignment
Upgrade front sway bar FM bar.
Upgrade endlinks (FM endlinks)
Consider corner-weighting
Inspect differential mounts and replace if necessary with mazdaspeed mounts.
Bring car back to painter for do-over on rockguard paint
Develop a battery tie-down system that is compatible with installed Optima redtop battery.
Replace old/sketchy Optima with factory unit if necessary. (probably the best option)
Retrofit NA8 trunk release cable to my NA6 chassis (easy)
Install Miataroadster steering wheel hub
Install Momo Prototipo steering wheel
Reconnect horn connection under the steering column
Consider installing Hella Supertone horns
Install DDMWorks radio installation panel
Reinstall radio and buy/install door speakers
Install AEM UEGO gauge and prosport volt gauge in DDMWorks panel
Route AEM ground wire to engine bay ECU ground point
Recover driver's door panel to cover manual window crank hole. Necessary since power window upgrade.
Possibly upgraded material (black suede/alcantara?) for both panels.
Repair or replace upper main gauge hood. Possibly cover in custom wrapping of upgraded material (again, black suede/alcantara?).
Paint valve cover
Install, charge, and test factory A/C components (condensor and hard lines. blow out old lines and dryer with compressed air. it's going to be getting hot soon)
Install 323 GTX PCV valve
Drill crossover tube for IAT sensor
Wire IAT sensor and remove AFM
REMOVE 15 AMP FUSE PER MSPNP INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!
Install MSPNP
Install MegaTune on my laptop, and setup the firmware for a 91 with AFM removed.
Set base timing
Buy fittings for Tuner Toys fuel rail
Install 460cc injectors in TT fuel rail
Adjust REQ_FUEL in MegaTune for 460cc injectors (230/460 * 13.2) = 6.6
Send AEM UEGO analog input to MS. Set MS to use AEM WBO2 as default O2 sensor.
Work on cold-start and warmup enrichment values
Modify lower throttlebody-side BEGi charge pipe to include IAT boss.
Street tune with MLV
Adjust IAT and CLT correction values
Install boost gauge in a-pillar gauge pod
Paint intercooler flat-black
Install complete turbo kit
Street tune with MLV, slowly, up to wastegate can pressure
Either install manual boost controller or setup electronic boost control with the MS.
Consider installing VTPS on 1.6 throttle body so I can utilize launch control feature of MS and allow for TPS based map corrections.
Install oil catchcan off of valve cover breather. Route back to intake side of turbo plumbing.
DYNO TIME! to finalize spark map and nail down Electronic Boost Control, should I decide to use it.
Consider installing MOMO Start (or equivalent) racing seat and 5 or 6 point camlock harness.
May also need quick release hub adapter for steering wheel.
Will need to install strengthening plate under seat for submarine belt, if I go with 5/6 point harness.
Will also have to make custom rails for seat.
Buy No Problem Raceway approved lugnuts. :-/

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
Sounds like the fun I'll be having with my friends Miata.

BTW, there is no drivetrain in it besides the diff (no axles).

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
listmaking flail.

Set coilovers to 11 clicks from full stiff (fronts to 9 from full stiff)
would have taken less time to do it than write about doing it

Consider corner-weighting
the act of writing this has immediately nullified it. it has now been considered... task of considering, complete.. no longer a to do.

Develop a battery tie-down system that is compatible with installed Optima redtop battery.
Replace old/sketchy Optima with factory unit if necessary. (probably the best option)
mutually exclusive.

ditch the optima, btw.

Consider installing Hella Supertone horns
see above. consideration complete.

Possibly upgraded material (black suede/alcantara?) for both panels.
Repair or replace upper main gauge hood. Possibly cover in custom wrapping of upgraded material (again, black suede/alcantara?).
*possibly* to do.

Paint intercooler flat-black
immediately lose efficiency unless you spend a ton of money on thermicly transparent paint.

Consider installing VTPS on 1.6 throttle body so I can utilize launch control feature of MS and allow for TPS based map corrections.
considered... check!

DYNO TIME! .

WRONG!

Consider installing MOMO Start (or equivalent) racing seat and 5 or 6 point camlock harness.
considered.
:D :D

i know what you mean though. the mx6 still has a list a mile long of things i always intended to do to it, never did, or still want to but probably wont.

·
Registered
737 Posts
welcome to my club of dreams for my vehicles that probably will never happen :(

the only thing i KNOW will happen (once i get the dollars for it) is to SAS the shit out of my yota. mine would already look like the one below if i was gettin paid 18+ bucks an hour.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
blah blah blah
I was going to write out a thoughtful, eloquent retort, but I figure it would be better not to use flowery language to sugar-coat the ultimate message I was trying to convey. That message is of course that you should consider eating a dick.

:angel:

EDIT: oh, and seriously. I can show you the math as to why painting an intercooler doesn't affect the efficiency worth a squat. We just had that argument on miataturbo.net. Though to be honest, the discussion was a bit over my head, so all I could do is cut-n-paste. :p

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
and i can show you a few examples of a guy painting his intercooler, and getting a 7-10* jump in intake temps measured post intercooler...

same intercooler was stripped and they lowered by the same amount :)

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and i can show you a few examples of a guy painting his intercooler, and getting a 7-10* jump in intake temps measured post intercooler...

same intercooler was stripped and they lowered by the same amount :)
I just don't see how it could make that much of a difference. The end-tanks aren't doing any of the cooling. Only the very leading edge of the cooling fins are receiving any paint at all. I'm not going to dip the thing in a vat of paint.

Come on, use that logic Steve. If only the very frontal edge of the cooling fin has a coating on it, should that make any difference to the overall effectiveness of the intercooler? The air flows across the entire depth of the intercooler. With only the very leading edge painted, we're talking about a negligible amount of surface area covered by a negligible amount of paint.

At any rate, the main reason I'm doing it is because the intercooler I have isn't going to fit centered in the grill opening. I need to do something to make that not so blatantly obvious. :p

Chefsp0t said:
Have you found any sound clips of the hella supertones? I hate the horn in my mazda3 and that seems to be a popular one.
My buddy used to have them on his Scion tC. He gave them to me when he sold his car. They are LOUD. And they sound pretty good. Hard to explain. Pretty sure I saw some clips on youtube a while back.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
you never said leading edge, you simply said "paint intercooler" - do you plan on using a roller? a lightly dipped roller is the only way i see not getting the fins covered.

hella supertones are very niec.. very loud, good tone..., but a bit on the "i'm a puerto rican, driving a monte carlo with purple tints" side.

perhaps i say that because my PR friend has them in his monte carlo (with purple tints)

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I am also interested in this painted intercooler debate. When I was at the shop last they said it was okay to paint it lightly. They paint their shop name on their intercoolers all the time but it's not the whole thing, just a section.

The hella supertones might be a bit loud for my liking. I don't want to be one of those assholes with a train horn under the hood. They do look pretty awesome when you mount them behind a grill though. :tup:

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
hella supertones are very niec.. very loud, good tone..., but a bit on the "i'm a puerto rican, driving a monte carlo with purple tints" side.

perhaps i say that because my PR friend has them in his monte carlo (with purple tints)
Fuck you, I wouldn't drive a Monte Carlo with ghey ass purple tints for the life of me. Greeen tints, I consider :p:lol:

BTW, tell your PR friend that I hereby bestow him of any ability of declaring hismelf prican. No self respecting person would do such a thing. I bet yo uhe has a "Mi Orgullo" sticker with the flag on the back of the car aswell.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
not only that meng, but he has a full hood sized flag (with custom elastic clips to hold it on lol) that he putson for the two weeks surrounding the rican day parade :D

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The hella supertones might be a bit loud for my liking.
When you drive a tiny car that hides in blindspots so well, you want the loudest horn you can FIND. Of course, you can also just try not drive in people's blindspots. :D

·
Banned
2,866 Posts
not only that meng, but he has a full hood sized flag (with custom elastic clips to hold it on lol) that he puts on for the two weeks surrounding the rican day parade :D
You know what's funny? Most of the people like this know shit about the island's condition or status, and some of them have never been to island in the first place. Which is why I lulz hard everytime I see one of those "wannaricans" around my area. I always ask them if they know who the current Governor is:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Teins installed and ride height set.

Interior buttoned up. Installed trunk release cable from a later car, DDMWorks radio surround, wired up and installed my AEM UEGO and Prosport voltage gauges. Also finally got around to installing a radio and putting some speakers in the doors. Haven't had audio in this car in months.

Today, I installed a Momo Prototipo steering while with a Daikei hub and Momo horn button. Speaking of the horn, I also installed my Hella Supertones.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I frakin' LOVE them. It's a "big car" horn, and twice as loud as the stocker.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's not like Goat described before is it? I don't want to be that [shizzle]sack with the train horn in his car taking videos of scaring people all the time.
haha, no they aren't that loud. It's just a deeper pitch and louder.

How can I put this? ........

The miata horn is more of a "beep beep" horn.

The Hellas are more of a "HONK HONK" horn.

There is no better text-only description in the known universe. :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts