Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whats creekin? got a few questions...
1.) stop lights car starts to overheat a little bit. start
driving and it drops back down to normal. What may be
the cause ?
2.) If i want to change the water pump do i need to buy
it direct from Mazda or will any supply shop have our
W.P. in stock?
3.) Would you guys recomend me doing it myself or having a
mechanic swap it out for me.

Any input would be great...

Lex

·
Registered
806 Posts
Does your fan come on? If you are not moving there is no air coming through the radiator if it doesn't come on. I would also say to change the thermostat, which is cheap and easy. Give us more info for our diagnostic genius. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the fan does come on. out of no where it just started to get hotter. and she never acted up before.

Mazda quoted me $600.00 us for parts and labor for the pump and pully. is that right or crazy..

Also i sat and turned the air conditioning on and it didnt heat up much at all.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Before you jump the gun and spend a buncha cash, check the usual.

-Coolant level.
-Correct collant/water ratio
-Maybe you can flush the coolant and rinse it with water
-Check if the fan comes on when stopped(only 1, the other one if when the AC is on full blast)
-Replace your thermostat
-Add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter when refilling coolant
-Check for coolant leaks
-Check coolant hose/lines, make sure they're not ruptured
-THEN look into the water pump and pulley
-If you're gonna get the water pump done, and haven't done your time belt yet, get the time belt and pulley and get it all done in one shot

That's all i got.

G

·
0 Posts
I'd recommend a flush of the system if it hasn't been done in a couple years. It's possible there may be build-up in the coolant webbings withing the block or radiator and is restricting flow. You can do the flush yourself with a $5 kit and garden hose (don't forget the chemical treatment) or take it somewhere that will do a professional power flush for about $30-$40. Then make sure you use proper 50/50 mix when refilling. If you do it yourself get an OEM thermostat and gasket... I've compared 3rd party thermos to OEM so trust me, they are worth the couple extra $$$. You can also get the radiator professionally cleaned... one way of testing it is to disconnect the fans, let it warm up to normal, and touch your hand on different spots of the rad... it it feels cooler is some areas then it is being blocked at that spot.

J

·
0 Posts
If you find that coolant is leaking and the water pump is dead, then you should replace the timing belt with it at the same time. As for suggestions, I just had my timing belt and water pump replaced and the job costed me about $600, so the dealership is giving you a decent price. Also, if you don't get the job done at Mazda and you go with aftermarket parts, let me warn you not to go with "Airtex" water pumps. I picked one up from my buddy's shop and it wouldn't fit correctly. The pump fit on just fine, but then the pully wouldn't line up with the belt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts