Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive got some probs.
I was messing around with a benz all the way from my neighborhood to dc (more than 5 miles). He was really cool, we were playing cat and mouse for a while, he had a coupe which was newer than 00 im sure but i didnt get to see the model#.

In the process of keeping up with him i think i burnt out my clutch.

Here is what happens. when i am in gear @2.5k rpm i floor it and the tach revs up but i dont get the power, i then see the tach drop down and catch the engine, and then the power comes back. Its like if i power shift(never let go of the accelerator when shifting), when i do that and the car is normal condition, it will rev up and then drop back down to catch the engine. But now it happens without even power shifting or flooring the pedal.

I am letting it cool down now, and i will go and drive it again in a bit.

i got a new oem clutch put in, about 1yr and 10k miles ago, but i drive it hard all the time. oh yeah this is in the mx6 dx

edit: so i tried it after letting it cool for about two hours, its all good now!! whats the deal? i think that the friction plate or whatever got too hot and wasnt gripping.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yeah thats the flywheel getting too hot, hate that, i had some old ass truck almost beat me in a race cuz my clutch was slipping like crazy.

hmm vented flywheel mod anyone? are crossdrilled or slotted flywheels available, or would it be better to just get a better clutch? guessing the slotted flywheel would not be a good idea as you'd probably have to change your clutch a lot more often...

just brainstorming there....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts