Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Overheating Question

681 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  kc 93'ls 
#1 ·
Ok, this is on my friends car. It's a '95 4cyl ATX, with 101k miles.

First, his car wouldn't hold a charge, so we replaced the alternator and battery. Then, after that, his car started overheating, and we noticed the belt snapped, so we replaced that, and it was still overheating. We replaced the Thermostat hoping it wasn't the water pump, but it's still overheating, just not as bad, or as fast. We could onlymake it about 100 ft before it was over half way. Now after we replaced the thermostat and the belt, we can make it a few miles!

My bet is it is the water pump since it just turned over 100k miles.

If it is the water pump, should we just replace the Timing Belt and Tensioner while we're at it?!?!?!

Or is it something else, and not the water pump?

Reactions: [Danjamin]
Discussion starter · #7 ·
Well, we flushed the coolant out, and put some new back in, and it drove fine for a little while this morning(2 am) then on our way back from wal-mart, it started over heating.
So we flushed again, and found a big air pocket i guess you'd call it..

What causes the air pockets?

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it was fine, we could drive it for awhile, then it started overheating again..

We're gonna change the Timing belt, Tensioner, and water pump tomorrow, just for the 100k tune up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.