Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of us know. The 2g MX6 paint isnt too durable. If you've still got good gloss on your factory paint you:

A: Are the original owner and you take care of the paint
B: Lucky
C: The Weather in your town/city is always cloudy
D: You dont live in UV rays of death Phoenix as do I...lol

Seeing as I am non of the above, my paint is oxidized rather nastily. The hood, roof, trunk...basically all of the higher parts of the car.

Now my peace of mind is having a car that goes vroom versus a car thats all show and no go. ;) But when it comes to what your next hot date, or even your dates parents think, they have no concern what is under your hood or inside the car if the outside looks like someones ashy knees!

So if you've been looking everywhere for a solution to oxidized paint. Here you go.

My very best advice, save up the cash, find a reputable business, and get it painted.

BUT if of course money is a little tight, there are some alternatives.

You could go to a detail specialty place and have them buff it for you.

You could wax it your self.

Wet sanding

Rubbing Compound

But if your unlucky like me, and you wasted all your money on all of the above, laugh if you may, but believe it or not...yes are u ready??? Here it comes!

WD40

yes....

Wd40 after a good long wash, (or even just a run through wash at a gas station will do). After the car is all dry, with a rag and little sprays of WD40 you will instantly see the difference. Use as needed. If just certain spots (i.e. hood, trunk, roof) are the only places oxidized, then just apply there. If your whole car is baked more than a hot pocket, then go nuts. Shouldnt take more than 10 mins head to toe on the car!

I know some of you skeptics have tried "everything", but if you havent tried this. And your paint is already toast, try this. You will be surprised.

Pros - Nasty white oxidization goes away. Your car looks a ton better. You smile more :angel:

Cons - It will last for about 3 days (in AZ), dust gets attracted, it washes off with the next wash or rain.

I hope this helps those tight on cash who are looking to make their car look nice even if its only temporary! Or at least until you paint it!

and yes I know - :useless:

But as soon as it stops raining over here, I will show this process through pix!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok it stopped raining! Heres some pix

Ok believe it or not these are pix of the car after its been washed (Yeah, its oxidized that bad) Pix are of the hood and trunk taken with my phone

Ok now heres after I applied the WD-40 with a rag. Helps clear up foggy headlights a bit too

Yes I know "Your paints still ugly", but tell me there isnt a big difference with just a spray and wipe application?? Whole reason for the post. Hope this helps out some of the unfortunate =)

·
Registered
784 Posts
but it only last a couple days. crap for the price of that, I could get a nice low nap roller from a paint store and some acrylic exterior and go nuts on my car if the paint was aweful. Or you could just paint the hood roof and boot black. crao that would look better than anything

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but it only last a couple days. crap for the price of that, I could get a nice low nap roller from a paint store and some acrylic exterior and go nuts on my car if the paint was aweful. Or you could just paint the hood roof and boot black. crao that would look better than anything
Ok. I kinda knew this one was coming. That's why I said try it. That why pix will be up very soon. I say only a few days because I am in Az and the weather is insane dry. It'll mess with any paint job if not cared for properly. Now in the winter here the WD-40 method lasted a little over a week. Which worked out good for me because I wash mine weekly before the weekend. But don't you think getting some paint and a roller is a little drastic? And ugly. And time consuming?? Especially compared to a can of WD40 which costs around 2-3 bucks here. And takes less than 10 mins to do. This thread was for those in a fix, not for those with paint rollers and acrylic paint. But you will see pics soon enough. Seeing is believing.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Pics could be nice. My car looked like arse for Prom last year, so I'd like to make it look better for homecoming and prom this year.

Don't get many hot dates, and I don't know exactly when my 6'll be going in for a repaint this year. (And homecoming is like, a month away for us.)

But yes, pics would be lovely, so I may then consider this. :tup:

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics could be nice. My car looked like arse for Prom last year, so I'd like to make it look better for homecoming and prom this year.

Don't get many hot dates, and I don't know exactly when my 6'll be going in for a repaint this year. (And homecoming is like, a month away for us.)

But yes, pics would be lovely, so I may then consider this. :tup:
Ive been dying to wash my car again so I can post up pix but its been raining so much here lately! :mad:

But Hopefully tomorrow the sky clears up and hey even if its not clear, I think i'll wash it just so I could get some pix up and turn some skeptics frowns around! ;)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yeah, I feel ya on that one. I think this rain's been helping me a bit, I don't have as much brake dust on my rims as usual, lmao.

But yeah, I'm not so skeptical, I just wanna see what results to expect.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Moved pix to first post

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics Updated

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump!

Just tryin to get opinions if im an idiot or not thanks. Lol :shrug:

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^I just recieved my paint, but I'm gonna give it a try myself. I think it's a good idea if it works...even if it is JUST a temp fix.

I actually found out by accident. I was spraying something with WD-40 near my car and when I was done I saw a bunch of splatter on my car. So I started wiping it off but it spread and, well the rest is history! Wish I could get better pics. Makes a world of difference especially on darker paint.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Looks pretty nice. :tup:

I think I'll be buying some WD-40 in about a month, haha.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts