Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I got a 94 MX6 LS, I need to replace my o2 sensor.. I was looking on the net and noticed that there are 1, 2, 3 and 4 wire sensors...which one do i need? and what is the difference between them? I also found alot of "universal" o2 sensors...what are those all about?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
we have a 4 wire o2 sensor for the 2nd gens, and there are 2 on the car one on the front header. Easy to replace, and one on the back, a little harder but no biggie. when I went and changed the oil on my car I gave the guy 15 bucks to change mine. I would go to autozone and get the oem ones. there like 60 bucks though a piece for the bosch.:sigh: There are some people that do the 1 wire conversion, but that is just being cheap. but not a bad way to save $$$. universal one might not always work right too. Just depends though

·
Registered
326 Posts
Right. There are a lot of people on here whose opinions go one way or the other with converting to the cheapo 1 wire Bosch 11027s.

I made the switch to 1 wires a couple of weeks ago, because 1. I'm a cheap bastard and 2. I really didn't have the money to spend for OEM replacements.

The previous owner of my car drove it for years with the CEL coming on all the time. If it comes down to not fixing it at all, or going with the $17 Bosch 11027s, I say go for it.

It's better for the car than doing nothing at all.

It was quite easy and the OBD faults went immediately away.

Oh, and by the way, the rear sensor is much easier to replace if you remove the 6 bolts that hold the crossmember on under there. It took a lot of work to get that off, but pretty much makes it as easy as the front one to get to. Breaker bar suggested!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Mosheen do you still get cel lights when your just putting around town or are they completely gone? I've heard the problem with the 1-wire is that they don't stay in the correct operating temperature all the time. If you don't get cel's tho then I would definetly go with the 1-wire myself.

metros

·
Registered
326 Posts
The only code I get is the remaining EGR code 16.

I haven't run a full tank of gas yet, but I am at 200 miles and only half a tank so far.

That's about a 35% improvement in mileage!
James

[edit]On a side note, we spent hours trying to get the EGR out to clean it, as described in the FAQ walk-through. I went over to the msprotege site where the walk-through was done and apparently those EGR valves are a lot easier to get to in those cars. We struggled and finally did get it detached, but couldn't get it out. We were running out of daylight and hadn't done the O2 sensors yet, so we put it back together without ever cleaning the EGR. Since then, if I gun the engine really hard, it blows black chunks out the exhaust, which it has never done before. I think just handling the EGR has unclogged it somewhat. It is still my goal to get this out eventually.[/edit]

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I ran single wires on my 2g before I went stand alone EMS (now they just sit there to fill the bungs) and never had any codes afterwards.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Oh that's something I'll definetly do over winter break then. I thought they still had codes come on because of the heating element so I figured it'd be better to just wait and save up the cash. Thanks.

metros

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
OBD-I is dumb and doesn't care about the heater. In fact, one of the guys I installed a MS for ended up tapping his +12V heater wire rather than the sensor wire and never threw a code!

OBD-II on the other hand might very well throw a code, I can't speak for that one.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Never thought of the obdI vs obdII on that.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fastest95PGT again.

metros

1 - 9 of 9 Posts