Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i have a 91 lx or dx i always forget which one it is. but it is n/a not trubo.... but will the pace setter short shifter kit for the GT fit on my lx? with out major modification? and if so is it decent?

its only 03 bucks from nopi.com so i want it! i need help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yup, it will fit right up.

Be warned that a STS can shorten your trannys life by causing incomplete shifts.

You can also adapt any honda civic shifter to fit, It just need a longer bolt to hook it to the shift linkage, and a different shift knob.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
civic short shifters? what years? and um what about choping the top few inches of the shifter it self i mean that ghetto but hey. any more info would be great!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cutting your shifter doesn't actually shorten the throw, it just makes it look lower.

I believe '89-'95 civics all use the same shifter design. I could be wrong.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
FlySwat said:
Cutting your shifter doesn't actually shorten the throw, it just makes it look lower.
All else being equal, the throw will be shortened. Basic geometry.

The question is, why would anyone want to modify parts or exchange parts for aftermarket parts which will diminish reliability? Pacesetter's R&D budget is somewhat less than Mazda's, doncha know?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I'm actually thinking of putting my shock shifter back in as well. I'll probably cut mine though, since the stock shifter is about a foot long :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your correct Sleepcounter, now that I think about it. Also, by cutting the shifter but keeping the pivot point in the same spot you reduce the throw of the actual shift linkage.

I just tested this with a pencil in my fingers, I marked a pivot point and examined the throw, then snapped an inch off the top and tried again. Bottom throw became much shorter.

This can't be good on your syncro's :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
as for the pace setter shifter itself, if the little white pivot ball is moved up all the way the portion below the pivot become longer than on a stock and and the throw will be much shorter and will simultaniously fully engage the gears, this does make shifting more difficult as the leverage is reduced, it could have a negative effect on the shiftgate and any bushings/bearings therein, but there are ways of solving that using a small ujoint and further modifying the shift linkage.. but that is more of a project than i really wanna go into mostly because i can be lazy, needless to say it makes shifting more dificult and may have negative side effects on the shift gate (( i know i know. im stating and restating the obvious)), but the gears will fully engage with a properly designed STS, its mostly just a lever, which isnt particularly complex. though sleep counter is right in that it doesnt make sense to do something that will pourposely cause problems, im not completely convinced its entirely the shifters fault but thats a different matter.. cutting the shifter without changing the lenth below the fulcrum will make the unit smaller, will SLIGHTLY shorten the throw, and will make shifting harder, but being as it's free.. also it doesnt change the geometry under the fulcrum eliminating the problem with the shift gate.... end rambling.. have too much calculus homeworks due...

·
Registered
737 Posts
The short throw shifter I used was for a 92-00 Acura Integra. It fits perfect, you just need to cut the retainer spring that holds the shifter down. I re-greased the nylon bushings, they had little wear. It works awesome, drastically shorter throw. I got mine for like $21.00 shipped, via eBay.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
All else being equal, the throw will be shortened. Basic geometry
HAHA. I had to describe measuring across slices of pizza to prove that same point to a certain mod, last time this came up. I have a shortened stock shifter, I did it for appearance purposes but it also feels better with a smaller throw. If people can notice a difference to 1/4 mile et's with a PS STS they are a better driver than I'll ever be.

Also, by cutting the shifter but keeping the pivot point in the same spot you reduce the throw of the actual shift linkage
Flyswat: I'm either misreading this or I think you're wrong. By reducing the lever end you don't change the distance the load/linkage end moves you just increase the force required to get it there.which actually means less chance of doing damage. Get another pencil:) .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts