Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i found pacesetter headers for like $150 and i know how you all say there shit but what if i got them power coated? They at the shop said he would get them powercoated for me so that would elminate the the possiblty of them rusting and falling apart. I have also heard that they perform real bad. Why is that? I have seen the headers and they look alot better than our stock exhaust manifolds. I know Hotshots are supposed to be them best but if i got the pacesetters power coated what would be the difference??

·
Registered
806 Posts
The price sounds right for sure, I think JC Whitney has the regulars for about $160. I know Pacesetter has a bad rap, but of all the people I know with the Pacesetter's, none of them have any complaints. I am sure there are some that do have complaints, but what product makes everyone happy. I would go for it. Performance wise they give the most hp output of all the headers dyno'd by both Probes and 6's that I have seen. One common complaint is that they leak. Just make sure to use copper rtv gasket sealant and/or new gaskets, you will be alright. Also, make sure the the flanges are flat and I think if you have the slip fittings welded you cut down on the potential leaks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Let me know

I have heard the stories of people hating these headers, but on the other hand I've heard some very good remarks as well. They do produce the most hp, and for that price (I've seen them as low as $100) you can't go wrong. Just make sure to have all the joints looked at for shoddy welding and have them powder coated wouldn't hurt either.

GO FOR IT!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys that really helped me out!!
So they really produce the most HP out of any header for the 6? great THANKS GUYS!!!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
hey, mine actually just arrived on saturday. they look good. all gaskets are included n everything. however i am gonna have to dremel out one of the primaries at the flange, since the weld closed it up a little. its a little less oval than the others. more like an egg shape. other than that i cant complain.

as far as finish, i got the painted ones. i'm gonna remove the paint and spray em with silver hot paint. that should solve all rusting and appearance problems.

i obviously recommend you do it. i will post the results when i'm done with the install. prolly some time next week or maybe even this weekend.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! post something after you put them on. When you say painted you mean the black ones?

·
Registered
257 Posts
yeah, the black ones. i'm gonna hot paint em silver tho to stop the infamous "pacesetter rust".

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey guys I just wanted to let you know that it may be just simpler to buy the new hotshots there is a bulk buy on them. because once you powdercoat and heat paint, aswell as weld the slip joints you will have spent just as much money. think about it. the hot shops are 436 that includes shipping. go to the bulk buy tread and get the details.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bosal is the only one I have found that makes a 4cyl header. www.bosalperformance.com/catalog/exhaust_cars_cat.html

The only problem is with 96 and 97 years since they have dual o2 sensors and the header has only one input. You need to extend the 2nd one to behind the cat and have it installed, but you can also connect it and leave it hang.

[Edited by dig_dug_mx6 on 03-08-2001 at 11:25 AM]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts