Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Paint Job

2K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  xeon 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys!

I think my car is about due for a paint job! Has anybody recently had their's totally redone? How much did it cost (in CDN or US)?? Just curious. Thanks!

#3 ·
Hell that is great for a total paint job. I would be willing to take my car there for that kinda price. where are you from? I got a quote here of 3500 that was the cheapest one too. i need to have it done because this mazda paint sucks and it is fading. and I have swirl marks on my bumpers. oh do you know if they make that chamilion paint in white or pearl?

#5 ·
hey even that is good!! where in maryland I am from fairfax va and I will be there this summer to see my folks. if he does good work I definetly want to give him my buisness. Hey could you post some pic of your ride? Please!!!

#6 ·
paint and body work....

yeah i need to get my shogun kit installed and have the car painted as well. i was thinking of thinking of aces body n paint, the shop that did dustin's car but he said not to. also if you live in fairfax, i hear theres a place called "fair city", that does sweet work, theyve had lots of their work in ss mag. also where is that shop in maryland, i'm real close.

--mcbride

#8 ·
I got my Acura painted in January at Mako for about $700. They did a great job but it wasn't perfect. For that kind of cash you'd be hard pressed to get a better deal anywhere.

I live in Washington, USA. They also had a half-off sale in january so it will be slightly more expensive. However, you can get they're cheapest paint job for only slightly more than $400!

G
#9 ·
I don't think that I trust Maaco all that much. I was aware of that special deal, and it was very tempting, but I'm pretty sure that my car was painted before I got it (most likely at Maaco) and it looked great too! However, the reason why I want my car painted AGAIN is because all of the clearcoat is peeling off . ..

G
#10 ·
Generally the reason why the clearcoat comes off is beacuse they didn't take off the other paint. Make sure that they take off the clearcoat. The best to use is 400 grit sandpaper and then go to a 320 grit. Make sure to wetsand it though. I know that Macco uses a special kind of paint that is a mixture. Just really a simple eurathane. Good paint, however, it not as durable as a base coat/clear coat. That is also why it is so cheap. As long as you keep it out of the sun for the majority of the time you won't have a problem.

#11 ·
Not to put any one down, but Maaco paint jobs are not that great, especially that $400 dollar job. All they will do is rough up your paint and re-shoot it for $400. It will look nice for a year or so maybe, then heaven help you. Overall they don't give you a paint job that will last, but they do a clear coat/basecoat and charge as much as the next guy. Those in the Maryland area that want to get their cars repainted e-mail me and I can hook you up for $650. That is a clear coat/basecoat and they have a chamber to start the paint curing. If you want pearl it is $250 extra. This is a steal! It will take 3-4 days for them to paint your car and body work can be done. It is dirt cheap too. I had 20 some dings and a kicked in drivers side door done for $250. $50 of that was a tip for the body guy, he deserved it! Again e-mail me if interested and I will set you up.

#14 ·
xeon, whats the body shop called???

also can they do the shogun install, and do it right. i am a perfectionist and i want to be sure that the kit is installed perfectly so it will continue to look good for years to come, whats the experience level for these guys, how long have they been doing body work, also can you post of pic of the work they did for you.
-i live in wv, and am probably within 1-2 hours of where this place is, if all is well, then maybe they will be doing my work as well....mcbride

G
#15 ·
Superman and xeon

hey super im in ffx and will join you if you go up there to get your car painted. Xeon does the work include stripping the car down our just recoating? btw macco quoted me $800 for the stripping and $500 for the paint plus some other charges. If your guy can do all that for the price your telling im sold.

#16 ·
midclub I will be back home this summer I am at school now. but if ol boy is legit I am defintely down for a repaint for 650 I don't have very many digs either. Hell I will pay the extra 250 for the pearl. have you emailed him yet?

G
#17 ·
Na not yet i just posted. Your damn sure im doing it to. Im working on a tc kit to add on right now but then the paint. So by summer i should be good to go. My 6 has tiny a$$ scratches that look like an old man with grey hair shaved over top of my car. it sucks. you cant see it till your right up on it though. Whats wrong with yours?

#18 ·
I got a key mark on the drivers side from front to back, parts of it are deep the others are not, I got swirl marks on the front bumper and the paint is peeling on the back bumper and at the bottom of the doors. since my car is white well actually cream now do to fading you cant see the blimishies until you are up close. I am thinking a totally new color, any suggestions? I kinda like that rust color that comes on the limitied edtion miata, it is also on the volvo c70.

G
#19 ·
Key MArk

That sucks man. As far as the color goes i havent seen to many 6s with that type of color. Im thinking agout staying green. Maybe a little darker though. Black was my next option but its a bizatch to keep clean. I like silver but my seats dont match. Id go for the rusty look. Have you seen any hooked up 6s in our area? Not a one here. at least cosmeticly speaking. i hope we can hook up the paint for that price. SWEET>

#20 ·
Guys it is legit and e-mail me if you are serious and I will forward you to the guy who can set you up. As far as kits, it is tough to tell of cost. Does the kit fit and how much work is going to be needed to get it to fit, etc. I know they have done some work on hoods and other kits, mostly for Probes, so we will see. I will post a pic of my car. It is nice and shiny black and a real PIA to keep clean. Those grandfathers hairs are probably swirl marks. The number one cause for swirl marks are bad car washing techniques. Let me know if you have any questions and e-mail if you want your car painted in the Gaithersburg, MD area.

Xeon

#21 ·
gota say i'm with you all the way on the rust color... I've heard it refered to more as a copper color but I think we're talking about the same thing...i'm getting ready to have my car sprayed after the bodywork and the kit are completely finished and i am definetly thinking of rust, black, or cadillac silver(mirrorlike) or dark metallic blue w/ the rims painted to match(like a civic on the cover of SCC one time)...

G
#22 ·
I want mine done in a Dodge Durango kinda blue - black is just too much damn work. If only I had the 650... I know I left it around here somewhere :rolleyes:. Does anybody know of a good place for a good paint job around the ATL?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.