Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On average, how much would a good paint job cost with compounding being done? I have a '94, and the car is in pretty decent shape, but it does seem to have quite a few scratches and nicks in it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
well i am getting a tc kit on my ride and i have a red 93 ls the guy that is doing this for me is charging me like 1400 to mold the sides on and fix all the dents and all that good stuff and connect teh front end to the fender to look nicers, paint it all all the jams cant wait to get it all fixed up, if u go with a different color it will cost more i will stay with red probly a good paitn job would be about 1000 or more just depends really i guess i might be low or hight help me out guys

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've been quoted $1800 for repainting mine and taking out the minor dings and dents. But this is also at a custom paint shop where they will sand it all the way down to metal and paint it back up. Realistically $1000-$1500 most places, without color change.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just had my MX6 rebuilt from a total. I had it painted complete black, but I also got PPG Harlequin racing stripes (change color, depending on how you look at em). This would have been about a $4000 job, but since my dad owns the body shop, and I did most of the work myself, I got it for about $250. But the price of the job depends on how much you are having painted and the quality. Few body shops will do top quality work. A lot of work goes into a quality job, such that most places find some place to skimp, like masking items that should be removed, such as door handles and the like. But it all boils down to how good of a job you want and how mcuh money you are willing to spend. If the money is the biggest issue, Walmart sells Crylon for about 3 bucks a pop.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I can tell you that red does cost the most out of regular paint (excluding candy and pearl) because of how many chemicals are involved. Black costs a lot because black shows every little imperfection...thats why it costs if you have body work done at the same time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey, riceater6 (what's with the 6?) can you hook me up with a pic of your ride when you get the kit installed? I have a red 93 LS and plan on getting the kit in the spring. I wanna know how it looks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've looked around through a whole lot of body / paint shops to get my car painted over. I've gotten quotes ranging from $600 to $2000 to repaint it the original color plus some pearl and to fix the imperfections. The thing is, with this kind of work, you definitely get what you pay for. I'm actually going to be going to an italian place that will charge around $1800 for the complete paint job in silver plus some pearl and to fix the dings. I chose this place because I asked them to give me a tour of th eplace and the owner actually walked me through the entire process that they would undergo. Also, look at the cars that the people deal with as well. if you see a lot of beater cars on their lot and that they are working on, i would be a little scared about leaving my 6 there. In this Italian place, all you see is beamers, porches , lexus and other luxury cars. So I'm thinking hey, if people trust these guys with their luxury cars, then I guess it's a good place for my MX6.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
What the hell is it with noobs and bumping 7 year old threads!

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
You get what you pay for. I would just search around some local shops and get some estimates.

If your doing a bodykit, then its really up in the air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.