Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys -

My new red MX-6's paint is mint and I'd like to keep it that way. Can anyone suggest the best way to protect it from UV damage and a ballpark cost ? I've done the waxing thing, but someone suggested that I could get it professionally treated.... any suggestions appreciated.

thanks,

:wave:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Don't polish it often as it takes off a layer of paint. But definitely wax it frequently :) That is why my paint is still in good nick.

Good site for paint protection and care:

http://www.waxwizard.com.au/

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Wash it regularly yeah, but try Polyglaze Glide-On Glaze. Very easy on the paint and lasts. I used to use the TurtleWax ColourShine polish that is tinted the general colour of your car's duco, but the Glide-On stuff takes up way less time to apply.

You have to be pretty careful when paint gets to a certain age, too. I used some allegedly clearcoat-friendly polish on my car last year, and found it reacted with the paint around the fuel-filler. The last owner hadn't bothered rinsing off fuel that had splashed on the paint, and when I gently polished the area below the filler the polish removed the paint to the undercoat. It's not all that noticable really, and I'll get around to getting it sprayed. One day. Anyway, you'd be fine with the Glide-On Glaze.....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Use a REALLY big condom.....

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Meguires cab yellow wax is what I find is the best... It's hard so it will take a while but it's well worth it... I spose a car cover if you can be bothered with the pain in the arse job of putting it on and taking it off all the time.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Ribfeast you can get non cut polish, im talking about a pure polish, not a cut and polish :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ahh I see, learn something new everyday :)

I use the 'Mothers' wax that comes in a round tin, and use a Meguiars foam applicator pad to smear it on, leave it for a minute or so, then polish it off with a terry towel folded into quarters, alternating between sides and re-folding from time to time. Comes out nicely, the photos speak for themself :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
3M makes paint protection films. Basically a protective stick-on film that protects your car from stone chips. Usually a kit is available, not sure if that's the case for 2nd gen mx6.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Use Mother's Cleaner Wax once a month, and then once every 3-6 months use a polish or cut & polish, depending on how bad your paint is.

I use cut and polish every 6 months (the classic kitten stuff in the red tin) ... because I want my paint to shine, and I really don't care how long it lasts (because I'm due for a respray soonish).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm - good suggestions. I used the McGuires wax last weekend and I think I put too much on the roof, because when I buffed it off, a bit of paint came off. Although the paint is in fab condition, I'm sure the car hasn't had a respray - its been meticulously cared for and garaged all the time from new (it actually looks (and drives :) ) like a brand new car). Has this happened to anyone else ? Also, I've heard about a UV paint treatment that you can get professionally done..... has anyone heard about this ?

cheers:wave:

·
Registered
652 Posts
bottleofpepsi said:
Also, I've heard about a UV paint treatment that you can get professionally done..... has anyone heard about this ?
Yep - I recall reading something about it in the cartoys catalogue. Might be worth talking to a pro paint shop about whether it does anything for you, though. Certainly not worth doing on mine - she needs a proper respray when I can afford.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The bugger problem with polish is that you can literally love your paint to death. It's bloody annoying when you take off more paint than you intended to. Just use a polish that's relatively new as I've found they become fairly acidic when they're left to sit for a while.

You could try having an anti-UV coating applied to the paint, but it'd be more useful to have a new layer of clearcoat applied to the paint when the original clearcoat's finish begins diminishing. The really big prob is that you also have to think about the plastics perishing in prolonged sunlight exposure, not just the paint, as faded plastics are a big pointer to the overall aesthetic age of a car.

Trying to prevent UV damage to your car is a major pain in the arse, but the short answer is just to keep the car in shade during Summer, wash often and lightly polish about once a month. Or just buy a new car every year! :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let's try to resurrect this thread as there are new ways to protect your paint. We now have the ceramic and graphene coating technology that maybe started 5 years ago. It has UV protection and hydrophobicity features and can resist acid, tree sap, and bird droppings. It is not a water spot proof but maintenance is required. Has anyone ceramic coated their car or what sealants and waxes do you use? There is this hybrid ceramic coating spray that is also popular.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts