Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a spray bomb, to do a few minor touch ups to my car. And since I can find vinyl to match the color of my car, I have also decided to use it to make custom tail lights like the ones on JPMX6GT's ride.
My question is: How well will this paint stay on my taillight? Do I have to use special primer? Or will wet sanding the part to be painted be enough for the paint to stick?

Any help is appreciated, I want to do this on Sunday.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Yo there. Well you need to wetsand them but you also need to apply some thin coat of plastic primer. At least 3M has that stuff in nice spray can. It's pretty xpensive though but it is worth it. We use that stuff on our bodyshop. The paint should stick up pretty good after that. Be certain to remove any grease and wax before painting.

Mici

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will make sure to do that. Can you get that plastic primer at any hardware store? Or is it just at specialize paint shops?

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
No problemos. At least here in Finland we have them in paint shops and in automotive shops. I think you will find that stuff from any bigger 3M dealer.
Mici

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in the process of painting them now!! I applied the 3 coats of plastic primer and 1 coat of paint, I am waiting for that coat to dry then I will be applying the 2nd coat and I am done!! It seems to be working out great. Thanks for your help Deejayarse! I will post pics soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts