Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in paiting my interior dash ( the plastic area around the steering wheel, radio, etc. ) How hard is this process? Average price? Or can I do it myself?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
spelling error

painting...p-a-i-n-t-i-n-g my interior dash. :)

G

·
Not hard at all! I just did it. It took all over one day to finish it. All you do is take the color you want in spray paint and some rough and fin grit sand paper. Rub the rough grit on the pieces first and then smooth it out with a fine grit piece. After then run it under water and let dry. Then, spray it the color. Very light coats! or else it will run and look like sh.. well you know. Let it completely dry and then put about three more coats on using the same process. After that get a liitle can a clear/acrylic coat and spray over that. When it is done use some surgical gloves to put them back on. Other wise you will see finger prints all over it from installing the pieces back into the trim. If you need anymore help just email me.

Trevis

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how...

How do you remove the panel?

G

·
It pulls right off. There are clips that support it. Watch out though. The buttons need to be disconnected after it comes off.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

could you guys kinda give me a step by step...I don't want to start pulling away at my dash. What makes this so easy?

·
Registered
579 Posts
man, the easiest way is to try it yourself...that's what we've all done, and it's really easy. you just have to take your time, don't be in a hurry, and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve!! : ) heheh....

·
Registered
41 Posts
painted mt dash and whole interior... use vinyl dye.. u can get it at most fabric stores...sticks alot better and looks alot better.. cant helpu with the taking out the dash...(have 1st gen)

G

·
To take out the dash is somewhat involving but not hard. It is supported by a couple clips that release hold when pulled on. above the instrument cluster there are 3 bezel screws. Take those out and then pull. After it has come loose you then need to reach behind the trim peace and take off the connections leading to the switches like: cruise, light brightness, hazrads, etc. This is accomplished by squeezing the sides off the clips were the connectors hook into the switches. After that lower your steering wheel until it stops. And it should come right off. If you need any more help please just ask.

Trevis

·
Registered
44 Posts
jdmxsix said:
how about the entire front dash? not the trim the entire front dash. later
It was explained for the area all around the driver, quite easy, a few screws and some clips, what other sections do you want out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts