Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried to paint my tailights with the testors candy apple, i washed the tailights and everything. the first coat i put on was nice and transparent, but still looked slightly amber, so i did two more coats. i couldnt tell until i had all the newspaper off that the paint was completely opaque and looked like crap. so two questions:

how can i get the paint off? i've tried a bunch of stuff, even paint thinner and it doesn't work

anything had success know how to get them to look good? i've seen pictures of them looking just like the red color around it

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tansparent modle paint, works awsome, There is a 6 near me with them done and then clear coated. they look amazing.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I did the exact same thing, but it doesn't look too bad. I waited at least 15 minutes between the coats, and it still came out real thick. I can't really think of anything to get it off either.:(

·
Registered
357 Posts
sand them the same way people are doing on their headlights...

people, its the same plastic... sand it, remove the paint, and then clear coat it to bring back the shine... that simple.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Do not just sand,Use Bright Soloutions Plastic and headlight cleaner. It is sold at NAPA. $49 CND . works absolutly amazing, I had a bit of car paint on my headlights and i used this, it took the paint off and made my head lights soo clear, they look amazing now. Honestly this product does wonders, I recommend this to anyone with headlights that have turned yellowish, or for people that want to remover paint off of plastic, ie. taillights.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I found mine at walmart...I wasn't even looking for it when I noticed it. I just passed by and remembered that begin the kind people used for their tails.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
coool, thanks man, i need to go by rhino tomorrow anyway so i can finally buy my copy of NFS: underground:D so ill just get some paint while im there...any special instruction for doing the tails? and can i do them in white or would that present a prob?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
maybe he should have thought of that before he even painted the tails in the first place? go to a junkyard or ask hughes for some used tails, because if he like drenched them in the **** then theyre crapped out for sure

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
SKarpenz said:
coool, thanks man, i need to go by rhino tomorrow anyway so i can finally buy my copy of NFS: underground:D so ill just get some paint while im there...any special instruction for doing the tails? and can i do them in white or would that present a prob?

Make sure you give yourself enough time between coats to make sure it's not too thick. And when it says light coats, make sure you put them on light, otherwise it will probably turn out like mine.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
sorry for all the questions, lol...how do you apply the paint, is it like a spray can? or with a brush? if i have to do it with a brush then how do i get it to be...i dunno, smooth lookin, not like i did it with a broom, lol...im not good with brushes and such...ive done my dash and all white but i used spray paint for that...

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
no, it comes in one of the smaller spray cans. There's a thread in I think the project forums that gives step by step instructions.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
ive been painting my right tail all day now...i bought the candy apple red and its lookigng amazing...i bought the transparent blue in hopes of doing my reverse lights, but i wanted to see if i could do that first (leggally)...ive waited about 1-2 hours between coats and im at 4 coats now...i think ill stop after this one dries, in the morning im going to start clear coating...im doing one light at a time so i can post before/after pics...keep looking at this thread and tomorrow night ill have pics for everyone...TP...btw, thanks mavric03 for the help:D

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
pic of my 6 in rare and *sad* form:( removed spoiler, with first step of bondo applied to screw holes:( and no tails:cry: but all that will soon be taken care of...pics tomorrow of red tails:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I can't see the pictures, but the only sad thing about that is the first step of the bondo. God choice with taking the spoiler off, I think they look much smoother without one. Glad to hear your painting is coming along nicely, I need to fix mine sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts