Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... my engine is ugly and dirty. well ok its not dirty anymore since i degreased it and washed it (causing my rough idle but thats another story ha!)

but its still ugly. a few years of rust and corrosion have worked their way onto just about everything in there.

can i use a high-temp paint to cover it up? lets say black for instance, with red accents...

i've seen painted engines before.. how do they do it?

thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
valve covers

Hey people, I was wondering if you used high-temp paint, can you paint the valve covers? how will it hold up? Will it look bad after a wile? :confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Painting stuff is really not that hard. The trick is to NOT over do it. Don't paint everything you can get your hands on.

As far as paint goes, using high temp paint is a must, I personally suggest using a ceramic based paint, just read the label it will say on it if it is.

Then your on your merry way, find somthing you want to paint and figure out how to take it out. Clean it WELL, get rid of all oil and as much rust as U can. Let paint dry, and re-install.

In my 6, I painted the fuse box (whoppie) the intake vent, the rod that holds the hood up, and the head. (If U do the head make sure you replace the gasket and torqe it properly)

Looks cool to me!

P.S. I wouldn't suggest painting the spark plug wires, mine just cracked and looked like ass. Took me a bit to scrub it all off.
Happy Painting :E

DAMN THATS A LONG POST

·
Registered
242 Posts
Elude: do you have any pics of your engine?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have pictures, but no scanner or digital camera...
I'll try and borrow one from a friend and up them for you... You guy's can tell me what you think ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey, peeps painting is cool but if you wanna get ill you have to powdercoat. everyone thinks is sooooo expensive but its really not. what is expensive is the paint / powder but you can get, lets say a valve cover for example, done between $50-$125 dependint how ill you get but much better quality and it will last forever !!!!..... just my opinion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts