Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the paper test twice, the first time i drove moderate about average driving speed. The second time i hammered on it to about 80 mph down the free way. both peices of paper are still there, i dont know if there in there to good or what..

Plus
then go for a drive, drive it hard with lots of wide open throttle (aka floor it). after your done driving pop the hood and see if the papers are still there, if they aren't then that means your VRIS opened and are working, if they aren't there then your VRIS isn't working.
Can some one please explain this, so if the paper isnt there then there working...but if the paper isnt there then the vris isnt working?

:confused: which one is it...

and if they arent working..what do i do now?

·
Registered
146 Posts
He mean that if the papers ARE there, then the VRIS is not working. If you're confident that you've performed the paper test correctly, then you have to diagnose the problem. If you do some searching here, you'll find ways to do different tests to narrow down where the problem is. The Haynes manual also has good tests (if looking in the manual look in the index for variable resonance induction system). If they're not working you need to find out why (obviously) and fix it. Mine were broken (still are maybe if I can get the car running after re-installing the manifold) because a vacuum hose was disconnected to the VRIS vacuum chambers underneath the manifold. You want to test vacuum in the system, the actuator pumps, the solenoids themselves, and power to the solenoids.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Much much easier way than the paper test and will only take like 2 seconds,

step 1 Open hood,

2. Turn on car
3. locate VRIS
4. open throttle to full,
5. the VRIS indicator should move when this is done, if not then it is not working properly.

Remember te throttle has to be wide open

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
easier (and less trouble IMO) is to measure the resistance acros the leads on the solenoids.

Mega-Ohms is bad. Kilo-Ohms is GOOD!!!

Now go test :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts