Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
not cut here, drill and tap there, dremel this, die grind that

drum roll....dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

G311-28-913A Rear Strut Tower Bar $38.55
G311-28-9Z0 Rt Bracket $8.85
G311-28-9Y0 Lt Bracket $8.85

If anyone can find the part number and price of the rear tie bar?

EDIT:price was as of 01/04 at my local dealership and may be subject to change or availability in your area.

·
Registered
245 Posts
thank you so much, for some reason i never thought about going to mazda and buying an oe bar, no wonder i work at a gas station.
again thank you

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
holy begeesus

The idea never occured to me either, I need to go get one stat

would I have any probe installing it in the probe? I mean i know I might need to cut some of the trim, but thats okay.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Did ya check my website?

Check the collision repair manual scans....page 13, pic is in the lower left corner. #'s 28, 33, and 34. The prices are still accurate from these scans. You'll notice that those prices are exactly as SixSick6 listed.

Mazda wants about $80 for the lower rear tie bar. (They call it a "performance rod".) Part number is G311-28-671B

·
Registered
515 Posts
Depending on where you go...prices may vary. The last dealership I went to wanted $80 for the bar and $20 for the brackets. I tried at the junkyards for a while first with no success. So, I ended up using an aftermarket ones (front & rear) which cost about $25 for both.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called my local dealership and those are the correct prices, at MY dealership:shrug: did you notice the price of an intercooler? $790:eek:

the funny thing about that rear tie bar, I found one from an Isuzu Impulse Turbo that fits perfectly, the suspension was done by LOTUS and the tie bar is BEEFY. I found 5 of them at the local pick-your-part but they wanted $18 for each bar, I thought that was pretty spendy for a greasy bar...guess I'll go back huh?:lol:

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Are you sure they still make them??

I went to a Mazda dealer up the street and I wanted to know how much they would charge for that little front lip. They said $140!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a piece of plastic. They said it was custom because they dont make them anymore......WTF

The rear tower bar doesnt seem all that stiff to me. I guess I would only tell if I took it off. It seems cheap and easy to bend??

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
Are you sure they still make them??
I don't think you understand how dealership parts work. When a car is made in the factory, more parts are bought than there are cars to put them on. After the car is done being produced at the factory, those extra parts get sent to mazda's parts warehouse (I believe it's in Missisippi), where they sit and wait to be sold from dealership parts counters. The strut bar you get at the dealer would most likely be from the same batch as what were put on the cars 13 years ago.

The reason they are so expensive is because a.) mazda had to store these parts for 15 years, and b.) they are NEW (not rebuilt or aftermarket) parts exactly like what the car came with.

I have yet to run into any part for these cars that the dealer cannot get. I have a feeling that the people you talked to about the lip didn't know what they were talking about. They don't make "custom" parts on order....if they're gone, they're gone unless there is a high demand for them to be reproduced.

Also, the rear lower and upper struts bars are NOT cheap and "easy to bend". If you look at it you will see that they are solid steel.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
ive gotten qutes ranging from $65 to $144 just for the rstb

Ive called about 10 different dealerships

why would they have different prices? they all have to order them

·
Registered
515 Posts
My guess would be to line thier pockets with.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
when i asked about the price difference they asked me where I got the part number I said the collision manual and they said that mine was way outdated.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
dealerships have their shop manuals aka "collision manual" on microfiche as well as computer, ask if you can use their microfiche to look up part numbers. My dealership lets me go behind the counter and look up all the part numbers that I want (they are usually pretty busy and it saves time for them as well as me) The microfiche is under 626/MX6 for 88-92. If you're cool about asking them, they shouldnt have a problem. Talking to someone on a phone about something they could care less about is the surest way to get ripped off and overcharged, same as buying a car, if you know what you are talking about, you won't get ripped off

·
Registered
171 Posts
turbogt22 said:
Depending on where you go...prices may vary. The last dealership I went to wanted $80 for the bar and $20 for the brackets. I tried at the junkyards for a while first with no success. So, I ended up using an aftermarket ones (front & rear) which cost about $25 for both.

turbogt22, where did you get the rear aftermarket bar from for $25?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I got front and rear for a 2gen mx6 on ebay. I paid about $40 shipped for both. They both took some modification, nothing a jigsaw and a drill can't handle. Took me 2 hours to modify and install both.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
drsjr1980 said:
I got front and rear for a 2gen mx6 on ebay. I paid about $40 shipped for both. They both took some modification, nothing a jigsaw and a drill can't handle. Took me 2 hours to modify and install both.
Do they fit correctly? By "correctly," I mean do they fit flush against the strut tower (under the cruise control and ignition coil brackets; not just bolted on top of the lower nuts like some people around here are doing). The only bars I've seen that fit correctly without extensive modification are dutch626's bar and corksport's.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The front will fit, i'm not sure if it will fit fine below the cruise/ignition brackets, i'm one of the retards who took the easy way out. I don't see why it wouldn't, but i'm not forsure. The rear fit absolutely perfect. I cut the "half moon" bracket almost in half, and drilled a new mounting hole, fit with no problems. I really felt the rear end tighten up after it was in place too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts