Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:
Hey Guys I got a 05 BMW Red and 05 Chrysler black for my base coats.

For my clear coat i want a pearl in it... what do u think about a gold pearl in my first or second shot of clear. Will gold look good with the colors i got? I dont know alot about paint will this look good in red and black? how does the "pear come out" in the sun? or only when your lookin on a angle?? any one got pics of a red with gold pearl? or black with gold pearl?

or should i not put the pearl in the black at all?

ps.

has any one heard of spraying carbonfiber with a gold pearl added to clear, by this i mean..can i spray my carbonfiber parts with a new clear coat? with the pearl addedl in it??
any one got pics of this? if so do i just sand with a 400 get the old clear off the carbonfiber.. then re-spray with new clear coat...

( i want the gold pearl cause i got gold rims /emblems & apexi muff)

:help:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Pearls are nice, but most of the time they mix them in the base itself.

I dont think gold would go good with red and black.

Maybe you want to do the red and black bases with house of kolor fiberball flakes. The flakes sparkle red and black. :)

I can get a pic for you of my paint book if you want.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya Stealth please i would like to see.. the guys at the paint shop told me that they put the pearl in the first shot of clear coat.. then put 1 o 2 more shots of clear on top depending on how much u want to spend..

Sad.. i was starting to think the gold would look so good.. i feel heart broken now, humm.. i think i might spray my old trunk (pics i sent u) 1/2 black n 1/2 red.. then spry with the gold pearl just for the hell of it to see how it looks.. what pears would look good with my colors? or am i just to obsessin with the pearl thing, is it over-rated?

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Dont get all upset, im only 1 person that didnt think it would look good. Plus in the end its 100% your decision were just here to guide you in the right direction.

Perals are very cool.

Basically you have a choice between one or a combination of the following.

1) gloss > overlooked, can be VERY classy alone
2) Metallic > Most people go for this because of the bling factor, personally i think its becoming overrated since everyone has it
3) More subtle than metallic, less people have it, and personaly i think its super classy (escalades, cadis ect)
4) Kandy > top of the line, most cant afford it and jaw dropping in person.

NOW, let me say this, you dont need to add peral or metallic, you can get oem colors with those incorperated.

In fact, when i looked up my paint code (2004 honda magnesium metallic) It has 3 kinds of silver flake, orange peral, black, and white.

Thats an oem color and has all that peral and flake in it already.

Look at the flop i get, and no added peral.

Here it is in the shade

And here it is in the sunset

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Oh, and i would definatlly say its worth the test spray to find out if it looks good or not... Better to spend 30 finding out it looks brown, than to pay 600 to repaint the whole car..

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
if you have a test panel you can spray by all means do that, that will tell you whether you like it and voila! like stealth said don't underestimate a gloss color, i know i didn't! let us know what you decide and post pics up. I've never sprayed a gold pearl on red or black so i can't give ideas from experience. And as Stealth said, look into factory colors as opposed to some crazy custom, they will be far easier to match in the case of an accident, and with some reasearch you can find some incredible factory colors, BMW Phoenix Gold for example})

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Fireball flake, sounds nice, but Expensive!!!! I'd like to see it though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts