Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions about using megasquirt.

I plan on running the newest megasquirt (& spark). Im wondering how reliable is the system compared to the stock ecu? is there and downfalls or problems people have had?
Or will it basically function the same? I cant find any info on the function of the megasquirt, no one explains the details on how it makes the car react and driveability. For some reason i believe there is going to be some downfall to using it...
Also does it replace the ecu entirely or can you have both? also wich would be better to do?

I need somewhat of a daily driver, not a monthly driver.
Any info, links, suggestions would be great:tup:

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
Like brian said....it depends on a lot of things. My turbo car drives just like OEM...overrun and all. It also gets 30mpg on avg with steady cruise. My turbo car was a daily driver for a year..megasquirted and all. Went all the way to mm7 with it...no problems.

As for replacing the stock ECU....first, why are you going MS? Boost? Extensive n/a mods?

If you are highly modded, then go with the MS. It allows you the necessary tuning ability to get maximum safe power from your hardwork.

As for keeping the stock ECU, I recommend keeping it to control things like idle, fans, egr, etc. MS can do idle control, but stock is superior because it doesn't have to be reactive (like when you turn on the a/c).

Are you building it or buying one? If you build your own, prepare to do some extensive reading and probably take some notes. There is a wealth of information building up in the electroncis forum on PT, but take note of thread dates. Being that it is open source, the whole project keeps expanding and improving. Just because there is one way of doing something, doesn't mean somebody hasn't found a better way.

Ryanpzz and myself are about to launch our third BB, so make sure to check it out as well. There are a bunch of new options that are NOT going to be available anywhere else :D

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
Bruce and Al did a fantastic writeup in the megamanual. Go to www.megasquirt.info and read the tuning section in the manual. EVERY car is different....even if the same mods are used. To get 100%, you need dyno time. There are plenty of fuel/timing maps floating around to get you started, but you will have to invest some time.

EDIT: The units in the bulk buy come preloaded with maps for you to try. If installed properly, car will fire on first crank and you could drive it to work the next day if necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts