Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a performance chip for my 93 LS and am curious as to where the Intake Air Temp Sensor is located. I was told it's at the intake, but don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Does anybody know where it is and what I'm looking for? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
If it's one of the "performance chips" as seen on Ebay, then don't bother... it's only a 2 cent resistor, and it's purpose is to make the ECU think colder air is coming in......

In reality, as colder air is denser, ie has more oxygen, and you get more power...
you may notice the car feels quicker on colder days, or when the engine is cold..

However, with this mod.. the air is not really colder, so there is no power gain to be had... this is a well known con going around, and one to steer clear of..

John

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
There are one or two companies that do performance ECU chips, such as Superchips..

Mazda got the programming pretty much right in the first place... so don't expect miracles.. especially if you don't do other mods to the engine as well.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anybody have any suggestions; other than get a 5-speed, on how to get more acceleration from the automatic without any major upgrades? I love the car but it lacks a bit in the off the line category. I'm planning the cold air intake and am considering a chip but only if the improvement is worth the cost. My daughter will be getting the car in a couple years so I don't want to go too extreme; yet.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
A 5sp will knock about a second of the 0-60 time..

If you don't want to go that route, I think your best alternative is a progressive nitrous kit, this should also knock about a second off the 0-60 depending on shot.. (50 - 75)

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts