Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where did you all go for your head parts e.g. valves, retainers, springs,guides etc i wana go titanium retainers and springs
as always any help is greatly appreciated

PEACE
scotty

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not 9k but 8k at the most. i'am aiming for 7500 reliably, not to hard considering you can do 6700 stock. plus they are lighter and stronger which helps elimanate float.

anyone have any companies they could refer me too.

G

·
You missed my point but thats ok...

Since you claim your making a custom head on a CNC machine (haha good luck), wouldn't you just make the valvetrain work with say..Nissan springs and retainers? Would be cheaper.

Just because a F2t can reach 6700 doesn't mean it makes power up there.

Hell, its peak power is at 5200 rpm. Instead of trying to force your engine to do what you want, learn what its good at and take advantage of it.

I'll never rev my engine like a sport bike, and I'd never lug my sportbike like my engine :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
even though i wasn't taking about the dohc head i am having difficulty finding a foundrie to do the work which i have said before. true the f2 head stock does not make power high up in the rev band but i do intend to fix this. don't mean to be rude but all i asked for was a little help not a flaming bro.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
no offence bro, and I am not trying to flame you, but if you want to rev past 6k go buy a honda. I don't understand why people keep trying to figure out a way to make this engine rev higher, its a good motor, just work with what you have, and it'll blow you away

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yeah really whats the sense of getting the F2T to rev to 7500k when it stops creating power at 5300rpm's, and when I say it stops creating power I mean the power really drops off at 5300rpm's (check out some dyno sheets on this site for the f2t)
So basicly if you do get you motor to rev to 7500rpm's what are you gojng to do with all of that rev's. For example: you could be pushing 200hp right up until 5300rpm's then for the next 2500rpm's you will be losing all sorts of speed, lest say as you reach 7500rpm's (after youve passed 5300rpms' mark) your HP will go from 200hp to like 75hp once it hits 7500rpm's. Then you shift for your next gear and your rpm's only drop down to 4000-5000rpm's which means you alredy half way through the power band and you just shifted. Basicly what im saying is if you do get your motor to rev to 7500rpm's it will be pointless and it will cause you to be way out of the powerband range, creating a drastic loss of power.
Think about it, if you shift around 3000rpm's your rpm's will drop to like 2000rpm's for the next gear. If you shift at 5000rpm's your rpm's will drop 3000rpm's for the next gear (3000rpm's to 5300rpm's is the powerband range where the f2t creats the most power), so what do you think is going to happen if you shift at 7500rpm's? thats right your rpm's will only drop to 5500rpm's wich is right at the end of the powerband range causing you to have no power for the next gear.
Now tell me why would you want to waste a bunch of money to achive this goal of being able to drive way out of the powerband range. with the motor reving at where it wasn't built to be.

I think, IMHO, that this is the main reason why people are not answering your question.

Methman

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, but isn't the reason the F2T runs out of power at 5700 rpm because of the head? So if the head is opened up to breathe better, you should be able to get more usable power higher in the rpm band.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
brucerap said:
Yes, but isn't the reason the F2T runs out of power at 5700 rpm because of the head?
Piston travel.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
rods and pistons can be fixed with custom made units. how deep is your pocket????

head does have a lot to do with F2 puffing out so early. port design isn't that great as well as valve angle.

if someone gonna say that it doesn't rev because of its stroke, ill SCREAM. there is a mazda engine that is stroked just like F2 and it revs to 7 safely, seen some examples rev out to 8900, still produces mountan of torque and has helthy power. the engine is FS-ZE.

bore*stroke = 83*92
power = [email protected] ([email protected])
torque = [email protected] (kg/[email protected])

why is it if someone wants to push F2 firther or in different direction and shares his ideas with people all they get is grief from all. i say, go for it and make it rev its tits off, and proove everyone wrong.

if i want something that revs, why should i buy a Honda???? is MAZDA THAT INFERIOR????

every manufacturer makes something that revs.

Honda(base themselves on it)
Nissan (SR16VE 9000 Redline, SR20VE 8000 redline)
Mitsubishi (4G24(mivec) 8000 redline, DE3A(mivec) 8000 redline V6)
Toyota (1JZ-GTE 7000 redline, 4A-GTE 7500 and then some)
Mazda (K series 7000 Redline, Fe-DOHC 7000 redline, 13B-REW 7500 redline and beyond)
Susuki (EA11R/EA12R.....9000 redline)

why everyone has to use honda as a benchmark????

lets stop with flames, and hating on people. and start helping and be a comunity (as it used to be so long ago). "don't have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"

NOW, scotty, you will not find such things for F2....... UNLESS you can find a 1989 HKS catalog, they did have springs and valves for F2. other then that there is not much avalible, everything is custom made.

you can try to find KA24 12Valve double springs and fit them(not very hard but not easy), it seems like KA24 was a popular engine in North america, you might even find an upgraded set that someone makes.

good luck buddy

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If someone wants to make this engine rev, by all means, go hard. I just think that if you took the amount of money needed to make it rev, and put it elsewhere you would be just as happy, if not happier. Seems like alot of work just to change the redline. It would be easier to get an fe3 (7k redline) and go from there if you want hi revs. I am not trying to flame anyone here. I would love to see what would happen.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
what were saying basicly is he will just spend a bunch of money to make a slower car, the powerband range ends at 5300rpm's any rev's past that is just pointless with the F2T, he says he intends to fix this problem, but the truth of the matter is, is even if he manages to get it to continue creating some power after 5300rpm he will never get it to continue creating the same amount of power after 5300rpm's as it does between 3000rpm's to 5300rpm's. In other words no matter what he does the power is still going to drop off a lot after 5300rpm's. He may be able to get it to not drop off as much after spending $5000, but it will still drop off enough to make it not worth while. This is IMHO, and mabey I could be wrong, but it just seems logical that it wouldn't work well enough, and simaler projects were tried in the past to make the F2T rev higher (ie: using fe dohc head on the F2T ect) and after a bunch of money and labour spent all of the projects failed, and they came to the conclusion that its best to just work with the powerband range that the F2T has or go FE DOHC.
I don't feel were flaming him, were just trying to let him know that it won't be worth while and he would be better off spending the huge amount of money he would be spending on this project elsewhere. Were trying to help him by giving him our opions/other options. If after he reads all of the stuff we said and he still wants to try, because he has all of the time and money in the world to waste, then we will give him help with finding the parts he needs (then we can say to him "I told you so" ;) )

methman

G

·
Methman said:
what were saying basicly is he will just spend a bunch of money to make a slower car, the powerband range ends at 5300rpm's any rev's past that is just pointless with the F2T, he says he intends to fix this problem, but the truth of the matter is, is even if he manages to get it to continue creating some power after 5300rpm he will never get it to continue creating the same amount of power after 5300rpm's as it does between 3000rpm's to 5300rpm's. In other words no matter what he does the power is still going to drop off a lot after 5300rpm's. He may be able to get it to not drop off as much after spending $5000, but it will still drop off enough to make it not worth while. This is IMHO, and mabey I could be wrong, but it just seems logical that it wouldn't work well enough, and simaler projects were tried in the past to make the F2T rev higher (ie: using fe dohc head on the F2T ect) and after a bunch of money and labour spent all of the projects failed, and they came to the conclusion that its best to just work with the powerband range that the F2T has or go FE DOHC.
I don't feel were flaming him, were just trying to let him know that it won't be worth while and he would be better off spending the huge amount of money he would be spending on this project elsewhere. Were trying to help him by giving him our opions/other options. If after he reads all of the stuff we said and he still wants to try, because he has all of the time and money in the world to waste, then we will give him help with finding the parts he needs (then we can say to him "I told you so" ;) )

methman
Buddy, your missing the point. Provided my valves did not float and my rods didn't snap, I could rev my motor to 7500 rpmright now. Anyone could. He isn't trying to just make it rev.

He's talking about shifting the powerband so it makes power up there by the use of generous flow work, and a cam designed for it (As well as many other things).

To me, it seems like money better spent elsewhere, but its his money not mine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i think he is talking useing the f2t as a base engine and make a new head and he would have a new engine design.

i say if he uses the f2t bottom end i would say buy at 7k.

i want to see where he goes with it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Damn, I'm pretty sick of people getting flamed soon as they mention something with the F2T. I'm surprised no one said just buy a FE3 yet. Whether you guys r right or wrong, just help the guy, let him live and learn on his own.

Why you think it looses power after 5300? Hmm lets see. Because of its poor ports and flow. AND dont you think the cam has something to do with it????? Maybe he planned on running a monster cam that has a powerband from 3500-7000. Who knows, just help him out with his question thats all. Thats just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
64 Posts
why is the red line at 6 on the f2 and at 7000 on the fe3. is it the the block thats not up to the job or the valve train. besides irecon my NA 2l block will rev up into the redline safer than the 2.2. im gonna see if i can use roller rockers and titanium valve springs on my 12v head and push the cam timing duration a little further.
can anyone thats blownup an f2 tell me what broke first?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts