Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im more of a stock guy, but i would some minor mods, if there are no sacrifices(durability, gas milage etc etc). Ive got my 88 GT to where i can drive it(not licensed, yet) and i know there are a few ways to make the engine breath easier, and thats all well and good but it doesnt add alot of power. I used to own an 88 turbo 626 hatch, the waste gate was cracked and it was boosting 12psi, and it was GREAT! tires would spin all the way through 1st, 2nd and into 3rd. I talked to my dad, Who is a Mazda master tech(whom i trust more then anyone), and he said that running that kind of boost can severly hurt the engine, so running that high of psi is out of the question. I heard that running up to another 1 psi of boost cant hurt anything, how would i go about doing this(without asking my dad, hes a purist stock maniac, you should see his rx-7) i dont want to compromise any reliability what so ever, and the car is fast on its own, but every extra bits helps!

let me know
Eric

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
making the engine breathe better really will add considerable power - look how tiny all that turbo plumbing is (especially the one that goes from the turbo outlet to the throttle body).

As for increasing boost:

www.dawesdevices.com

But you need a boost gauge to keep track of everything, and that might irk your dad.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
boost, and breathing

yeah but in order for it to breath alot easier you have to spend quick a bit of money, which i dont have. I already planned to add a boost gauge, off a probe GT(if i can) any my dad knows about that, but if he drives it and sees its boosting more then it should, well im screwed :p Is there a place to run the intake where it will get fresh air? i figured those spots in the bumper but thats pretty far from where it is, i thought maybe i could just use two elbow pipes, make one connect to the stock intake and angle it straight down, then another elbow goes to the bottom of the bumper, on the side in front of the wheel(id need to cut that part out, i think) anyhow would that help?

Eric

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I wouldn't use the Probe boost gauge - it's not accurate enough.

As for the intake, you don't wanna suck air from inside the engine compartment, becuase the turbo makes it so hot in there. Some people say to remove the resonator from inside the fender. Other people have hooked dryer tubing up to the filter box, run it into the fender, and then down to one of those holes in the front. I would worry about water getting in that way though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Let me tell you something, the resonator box is not a restriction. I would have to take a picture to explain why it isn't, but, after taking off my entire f--king bumper, and removing the resonator one night, take my word for it! There's no point! I notice NO difference in sound, and you can look at the thing and easily see why it's not a restriction. As for fresh air, you can go a couple of routes. The dryer ducting to the bumper is good, you don't really have to worry about water, as long as you don't spray a water hose up it or drive through a deep puddle. Most water would land in the ducting itself, and the rest would hit your filter. Unless you're in a really rainy climate, no big deal. Another idea is a cone filter. You can then use some kind of heat shielding to keep the heat from the engine from getting to it. This is good for power, but, if your dad saw it he might be pissed. I would suggest a K&N drop in filter, and the dryer duct idea. Unless your dad would get mad about the ducting.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I was aware of the resonator not being a restriction. A guy on Miata.net always says no to remove it, so I've never taken mine off. I was just listing things people have done, as opposed to amking recomendations.
I should have kept my mouth shut since my plumbing is still all stock for now.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I wasn't going off on your or anything, at least that wasn't my intention. I just thought about all the trouble I went through to get to the stupid thing, and then to see that it didn't make any difference! I guess I just let that frustration out in my post.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Im also wondering the easiest and best way to get more air in. I was going to go for a cone filter, but I dont want to suck in hot air. Will the K&N drop in filter help much? They are kind of expensive, are they worth it?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
breathing

After having a lengthy conversation with my dad, i AM going to do the duct work, i know exactly how im going to do it. First off, the intake right by the box, that goes into the fender, the part that goes towards the front of the car, im making a larger one, and cutting the bottom plastic behind the corner of the bumper and the end lip of the piping will be at a 45 degree angle so water doesnt go up too far but yet cold, fresh air will still get pushed into the engine. Another idea i had, which worked on my best friends go-kart, mount a fan on the intake, i dont know how youd do it on a car, but on the cart i used a muffin fan, running off a 6v battery, and it was a noticable difference, youd be going 25-30, hit the switch to turn the fan on, and youd do 35. just an idea, but i think it would get restrictive after a certian RPM. How much are those drop in K&N filters? my dad told me he doesnt want me making my car a race car( i know its my car, but if i go against him i loose all future free labor :( )but im going to do what i can do. what PSI gauge is a reliable one? i want a stock look, i was going to mount it inside the Tachometer, thats why i wanted a probe gauge.

Eric

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I think the fan idea is kinda bogus...your friend was probably pulling your leg.
The car can't produce enough voltage to run a powerful enough motor to produce any noticable boost. + You already have a fan sucking air into our car - the turbo. If you ran the fan off a seperate battery you'd have to bother with charging it all the time and that would be a hassle. Also batteries are heavy.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fan idea, its not all bogus

hey, i know it would be useless on a car, but it helped alot on that cart, the stock intake was the size of a quarter, now its 4 inches all around, with that fan it helps gas milage, we drove before the fan for about an hour on a full tank of gas, now its about an hour and a half, driving full throttle.

Eric

·
Registered
200 Posts
THE FAN IDEA IS NOT BOGUS!

The intake system that Roar makes is based on a fan. It does work & they have already designed it, so you don't have to worry about that; only being able to afford it. They claim a 10% increase in hp & torque. Don't make fun of the fan idea because Roar used it to make the best air induction system other than a s/c or turbo. I am going to get one as soon as I get my 6. Then I'll teach you to laugh (j/k). :D

G

·
MazdaMeister

dude, you dont know what your missing, get a fuel chip, turn up the boost and get exhaust,, this motor is a torquey motor, it doesn't like to tach out...

so the boost being up is cool because it gets alot of low end...

good luck..

just leave it stock for the best fuel performance, maybe just add an air filter and better wires and 92 octane..

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i know what im missing, and i cant do anything about it

I well know what i can do to my car for better performance, however i cant do those mods, my dad is a stock purist and anything aftermarket is evil to him, he likes things bone stock and if i played around with my car, he wouldnt work on it. i can do minor things to it, tower bars and stuff, but i cant make it a racer.

Eric

G

·
ok MazdaMeisterbrau

take your dad down to porsche and trade in the mazda for a 911 turbo, that should be fine, no real mods needed, over 400 HP stock...

that should take care of your dads purism problem..

I

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol

the thought of me owning anything other then a mazda would make his eyes pop out of his head. im screwed there too, any other ideas?

Eric

·
Registered
200 Posts
YES THERE ARE

Yeah, if you can afford it, get a Millenia with the Miller Cycle engine; those engines are incredible. I wish that there was some way to put one in a 6 because I bet it would haul ass. For the best combination of stock performance & reliability (read no RX-7s), I would have to say that this is your best bet, unless of course you can procure a 626 MPS from Europe :eek:. That would kick ass! :D

G

·
MazdaMeister:

Ok then, you have no other option here, the only thing left to do is to take your dad out of the equation..

He needs to be strategically removed, probably while he's either underneath your mazda servicing it, or when he's sleeping dreaming about running showroom stock cars up pike's peak in colorado!!..

Either way will do...just take him cleanly and quickly!!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The Mazdamiester likes his dad, I think, so that's out.

Rx-7s, especially the 1st gens, can be very reliable. The 1st and 2nd generation NA cars go to 200k regulary.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts