Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bougt a probe gt 1989 from a guy in minneapolis area, he had the car cause the diff pin broke and split the tranny housing. he said that when i put the motor in my 6 i should get a phantom grip to put in, anyone heard of it. the body is crap but the guts are good on the car, i even got a grant wheel and hub out of the deal. Ill post pics of my complete parts car later. Thinkig bout putting in a 626 or mx6.

chuck

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
diff pin problem?

taht guy said the phantom grip would help keep the diff pin from coming out or something, he said this happens alot, anyone know if this is a common problem, i know the syncros are going into third i think

G

·
Re: diff pin problem?

mx6_23 said:
taht guy said the phantom grip would help keep the diff pin from coming out or something, he said this happens alot, anyone know if this is a common problem, i know the syncros are going into third i think
If everyone did burn outs on wet patches of pavement, and then hit dry pavement at 5000 rpm then yes, it would be a common problem.

The stock Diff is a perfectly fine diff for the era these cars were built in.

Furthermore, the phantom grip is not a complete differintial replacement, but rather a instert that pushes on the two spider gears. This allows the car to transfer power equally to both tires when going in a straight line.

Because it is not a direct replacement, getting one will not make the diff any stronger, and not make your odds of shattering one again less.

SickSix: The quaife unit is almost $2000, plus you need to have the ring gear from your diff put on it by a machine shop, and grind down your tranny housing to make it fit. (Remember, Quiaffe only makes one for the 2nd gen, so these adapatations are requried to make it work).

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
No they are still in development. It was a group buy / development project. It has been a few months as they have tested and rebuilt the prototype 3 times.

~Chris

PS can't wait to get mine... the spare rebuilt tranny is in the garage waiting for the transplant. Thank's Mazdameister!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Last I heard the total for the Quiafe was roughly $3000. That included the Quiafe, adapting of the ring gear, and tranny case modification.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well i am about to pick up a PHANTOM GRIP from UPS now for a customer that i am building his tranny. I will have pics as i go a long a s well.

So stay tuned..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just got mine in. We'll see what 400+hp will do. Guys with similar hp are having excellent results with it. Welding diff pin in was highly recommened.

How are you guys with the PG liking them?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Fallguy please post up the results. I will be throwing one in later this summer and want to know how it holds up to the Tq.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hmm..

According to what JayB did, I know his name is kind of a sore subject around here lately.. But a shop in FL modified his tranny. They machined .030 out for one of the races, so that the quaffie fit in properly.. Total cost was like 2600 when all was done.. And yes he used the 2ng gen diff.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Phantom Grip sucks.. it's not worth the $300 .. i had it in my car...i had to cut the OE spider gears....once you cut it(use machine shop, cause i used drinder and had to redo it) and you drive in striaght lane its ok(help you a little on acceleration) but in corners its still the same ****.... i picked my car up and i moved my one wheel, the other turned in same direction, (so that good right??, ofcourse) but now i went and tried to stop the other wheel and....well in quaife or really good diif you barely can stop it spinning.. but in PG it takes barely any effort to make it rotate the opposit way( whcih is in case of regular open diff)...

anyway , mx6.... i got a complete brand new diff i'm trying to let go... for pics got http://community.webshots.com/user/probikgts.. and please dont think i'll let it go for $50 .. i ought it on dealers discount and that's how i want to let it go, it's uncut, uninstalled , only i touched it with my hands no oil or grease , nothing....the price i paid is on the pics of the receipt... i'm looking to get $150 plus shipping...which is little lower than i paid for....

·
Registered
261 Posts
MX666Y: You must have done something wrong. There are guys that have over 400whp fe3's having excellent results with them.

I think the Phantom Grip will shine more so on the drag strip than a road course, but it has to be better than a stock open diff. Also if there is slippage then upgrade to the "green" springs is maybe needed. I also heard that making the tolerences tighter will help out alot as well.

I think the best would be to get that AUS LSD, but to drop $1200 on it would be tough. No point for me beings my car will be rwd next year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Fallguy no disrespect, but i'm not novice in the performance scene....PG blocks were nice and tightly fitted between spider gears...so if you ask me. i would pass on the PG....if it would enhance the life of the diff then yes i would by it but it wont..the only thing that i have came to conclussion in order to prolong the life of the diff on the drag strip is to fill the mounts with poly.....no tranny movement, no engine movement, perfect gear switches, barely any if none WHEEL HOP(#1 killer of the diff)....but that's just my suggestion...

·
Registered
261 Posts
MX666NY said:
Fallguy no disrespect, but i'm not novice in the performance scene....PG blocks were nice and tightly fitted between spider gears...so if you ask me. i would pass on the PG....if it would enhance the life of the diff then yes i would by it but it wont..the only thing that i have came to conclussion in order to prolong the life of the diff on the drag strip is to fill the mounts with poly.....no tranny movement, no engine movement, perfect gear switches, barely any if none WHEEL HOP(#1 killer of the diff)....but that's just my suggestion...
None taken, but still not many LSD options out there.

I agree with you in that #1 killer of trannies is wheel hop. I have poly filled mounts and zero hop. That's prolly why mine has lasted so long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts