Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some pics that I took with the digicam after spending most of the day removing the fender panel and some other stuff. I had to take out the headlight for access, also the motor for the headlight took a lot of the damage.

hood down:

hood open:

overhead shot:

frame bent/headlight motor assembly:

fender:

what do you guys think? I dont think the frame is too bad, im going to get an estimate tommorow. Im going to go look for a junky so I can get a fender and headlight motor. I am also dripping some engine oil from somewhere.

do the pictures work?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
crash

It appears as though the main point of impact was up on the top front of your fender. If the hood escaped damage and is still in it's original position, you're very lucky.
As far as the headlamp mechanism and the inner fender support, consider cutting off the damaged portion and have a shop braze on a replacement piece from a donor junkie which has a good front passenger fender and headlamp door. Your frame is undoubtebly ok as high as the damage is. Check your strut mount and lower control arm as your rim looks bad.
The fender, headlamp parts & inner fender should be less than $500 total installed. Could've been worse !

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive gotten two estimates already. One is from a body shop that i have never been too, the other is from my mechanic who has his own body shop as well as full service shop.

The body shop estimates $525 If I provide the parts (fender, headlight motor) Including Painting.

My Mechanic recommended crazy rays (pick n pull) he said minimum $300 if I provide the parts. Not including painting.

·
Registered
372 Posts
dude it is time for a new car.:tdown:

525 is too cheap, i work at an autobody shop and just the preping and painting of the fender headlight door and bumper cover would cost you over 350 dollars, that does not includ the cost of the parts, and the labor it will take the get everything aligned right, so i think if u go to that shop it will be half-assed and come out like **** and if you where to go to a good reputable shop it would cost you way more then the car is worth, you are better off getting a car with a blown motor or something and just swaping parts...or just a new car all together.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I think you should do an mx6 front clip convertion. You know like how the guys in Japan wreck their 180sx's and put s13 silvia fronts on the car. How knows the body panels might be closer than we think. It would make a crazy hatchback mx6 looking car.
evo

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
front clip

evo626 said:
I think you should do an mx6 front clip convertion.
evo
Yeah, a 2door MX hatch would make a good compliment to our sister 626 GT hatch. Just add some sculptured accent flares above the rear wheel wells to match the front.

PS, what're you wearing on your front these days, huh Evo ?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
wtf are you guys talking about. It is not bad at all. I can get the parts (already have headlight motor, which took most of the damage) for a total of less than $50, of which 75% my firned will pay. Then he will pay 75% of the labor and my mom the other 25% and Ive gotten multiple estimates at this point non of which are over $550 including painting if I provide the parts. The sealed beam headlight is still all good.

I think its going to be all good.

edit:

I read over your posts again, and you cant be serious. My damage doesnt require something as drastic as a front end conversion. But If on some crazy whim I did go ahead and do it I dont think it would look very good. Although I like the six better than the probe (visually, because it looks like a skyline to me) I think that the probes front is much more appealing than the 6. I think the strong points of the six are its side and rear views. The probe looks sweet from the front but the side view (because of hatchback) is not great. ALso the rear of the probe is terrible looking.

However Ive got a new fender today and the body will get the car tommorow. And It will be all good.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IROC5spd said:
dude it is time for a new car.:tdown:

525 is too cheap, i work at an autobody shop and just the preping and painting of the fender headlight door and bumper cover would cost you over 350 dollars, that does not includ the cost of the parts, and the labor it will take the get everything aligned right, so i think if u go to that shop it will be half-assed and come out like **** and if you where to go to a good reputable shop it would cost you way more then the car is worth, you are better off getting a car with a blown motor or something and just swaping parts...or just a new car all together.

Could i ask what kind of work you do at the auto body shop?

The parts have come to a grand total of $50 with the fender bieng basically the same color, It is so close that I cant tell if it is the same color and different age or different color altogether. So, with painting the fender out of the way, it really isnt that bad. There is minimal labor involved in pulling the frame, as it is done by a machine (using the new fender as a guide). My mechanic said minimum $300 but I have a feeling it will be closer to $400. This seems like a lot of money but really the amount of work is very little. I feel confident that I could do it myself with the proper equipment, (maybe even a regular puller from autozone). However I am going to have the mechanic do it and my friend is paying for most of it. None of the money is going to come out of my pocket, so even with all of your pessimistic conclusions I feel that I dont have a big problem here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts