Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
In australia we never got XR4s :(
Although we now have XR 3/5/6/8

At first i hated the look, once i watched the videos, its a heaps nice car!

Reactions: XR2B6T

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In australia we never got XR4s :(
Although we now have XR 3/5/6/8

At first i hated the look, once i watched the videos, its a heaps nice car!
Redmx_tx5 you mentioned XR 3/5/6/8 ....but didn't you guys have the XR2 as well? The Mercury Capri XR2, i used to own one! Thats why my username is XR2B6T. B6T is the XR2 engine.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
OK Terrific?

Wasn't there a reason the whole Merkur line went away?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
eeeeh. im kinda glad its rare.

but, it sounds like somebody did some good stuff with the engine/turbo setup.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK Terrific?

Wasn't there a reason the whole Merkur line went away?

Merkur was unsuccessful due to branding issues, increasing Deutsche Mark exchange rates and airbag legislation for the 1990 model years. Also the decision made to market the car under a unique name – Merkur, German for Mercury. The name didn’t exactly roll off the tongue and Ford needed the educate it’s sales personnel, and the public in how to pronounce the name ‘Mare-coor’. One early embarrassment was that the name was mispronounced in several TV advertising campaigns! Anyone who knows anything about marketing knows that to make a product successful, the name has to be catchy, easy to remember, and above all roll off the tongue. This name, while clever, had none of these qualities. Ford made the decision to market the car through 800 of their Lincoln-Mercury dealerships. In retrospect, it is widely thought that this was one of the reasons why the car’s sales did not live up to Ford’s expectations. The salesmen were far more versed at selling Town Cars than complex high performance German imports. Why buy the german Merkur XR4Ti from a U.S. Ford dealer when you could buy the Mustang SVO, Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, Cougar XR7, or the Capri all of which shared the same chassis and engine. In 1986, a year after the car was introduced, Ford sold nine times the number of Town Cars than XR4Ti. Unfortunately due to the reasons mentioned, and a love-hate relationship with the large rear spoiler, sales struggled to break the 12,000 mark. For the 1988 model year, the rear spoiler was redesigned to a more subtle single wing and the lower gray body cladding was color keyed to that of the car. In addition, the number of dealerships was cut back to 600 nationwide. These changes were not enough to turn sales around, and despite favorable reviews, it was too late. Ford cancelled the program in 1989 after a total of only 42,464 cars had been produced.

The Merkur brand is claimed to have been a commercial flop. The reasons vary. Safety and emissions regulations in the U.S. forced Ford to make costly modifications, resulting in relatively high prices. Exchange rates also fluctuated too frequently. Moreover, since Merkurs were sold at Lincoln-Mercury dealers, many customers were more attracted towards Mercury models because of their lower prices. Ironically, the XR4Ti outsold all the European XR variants combined, making it the most successful "XR" model.

·
Registered
951 Posts
find yourself some 98 svt contour wheels,thet look good on those cars

Reactions: lake_pirate10

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great car. I remember test driving one years ago and was impressed. Very difficult to find and unmolested model.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
seen a bunch!! Even had one for a field car....

not really rare, there are still lots out there, but not in nice shape for the most part.
I know a guy who had 5 of them (a couple years ago)
Had a stroker motor in the one with over 400whp.

hows the dash in the car?

and you didn't happen to buy it from a guy that lived in Niagara did you?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I want one :)
Get one! I was very impressed with it. If you interested in one let me know i m sure i could find you one. ;)

find yourself some 98 svt contour wheels,thet look good on those cars
I Love SVT wheels! ...but i`m thinking Staggered black`s with polished lips.

Great car. I remember test driving one years ago and was impressed. Very difficult to find and unmolested model.
They really impressed me because unlike RX7`s, 240`s they came with a T3 Turbo from the factory.

seen a bunch!! Even had one for a field car....

not really rare, there are still lots out there, but not in nice shape for the most part.
I know a guy who had 5 of them (a couple years ago)
Had a stroker motor in the one with over 400whp.

hows the dash in the car?

and you didn't happen to buy it from a guy that lived in Niagara did you?
The car was advertised with no pics online. I took a gamble. When the guy opened his garage door the car shined like a Flawless Ruby! :) It was 100x nicer than i had expected. My wallet exploded out of my pants! :lol: I had cash and got the car VERY cheap. 400 WHP would be insane in one of these!

Oh yeah the dash is perfect. It even came with another dash in same condition.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Looks nice, but how fast is it? :D j/k. Have fun with it man, I bet it's quick or at last has the potential plus it's RWD.

Reactions: XR2B6T

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
that was my 1st thought. my 626gt touring is more rare.

but i have always been a fan of them. just cause there quirky looks dont really fit with most other car's. there definetly different. and thats why i dig em.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
I see alot of the 626gt touring, and i hardly see the XR4Ti

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Merker in Ottawa

I saw this in a parking lot in May and had no idea what it was, so I took a bunch of pictures.

It looks pretty nice to me (minus the nasty tailpipe):

1 - 20 of 68 Posts