Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My father and I where driving home from deer season. We where in the ozarks on those great twisty roads. My dad was becoming more and more impressed with the amazing cornering ability of my little Mx-6 LS. He was used to breaking for certian corners but on the way down we never took the cruise off 60. My dad was driving because he knew the roads better and he was really starting to have fun.
Just before we entered a particulary good section of the twistes an Explorer pulled in behind us and started to really ride us hard. It was a two lane highway with no place to pass and we obveously were not going fast enough. The moment we entered the twistes though, my dad poured it on. By the end the Explorer was a little bitty dot in the rearview.
Now pissed, the guy was back on our tail in a few minutes(we where only speeding 5mph, he was going much faster) and acting like he was going to pass over a double yellow. We got stuck for a second behind a Stratus who tried to keep ahead. However we didnt want to be behind him so we got around him on a strataway leaving the Explorer cut off. It was soo funny. I could see the Explorer trying to get around but there was too much traffic. Finally he got around and geez was he moving. But by the time he cought back up we got to another good section and agian the guy almost drove off the road trying to stay with us. Once againg he was a little dot. Finally the highway straightend out and he cought up again. He passed us and gave us the death stare, and then proceded to race a GMC conversion van! Those country boys hate litte red sports cars on there roads, even more when they cant pass them!

G

·
What's with SUV's anyway????

FUNNY story!!! Yeah, I don't understand soooo many SUV drivers. They think they're king of the road, and their "V8 Power" will easily overtake a "wimpy" little Mazda. I can't count how many times I've laughed watching an idiot behind me in a Bronco or other similar SUV squeal around corners to try to keep up with me. The really hilarious thing is, even when we're not trying to corner hard at all, they sure think we are! Also, the 2.5 V6 will do quite a good job of pissing them off up hills too-- epecially on nice long mountain passes. I just drop down to 4th and watch them disappear.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Man, you guys are lucky. The roads up here are set in a grid pattern (since this area is basically a collection of townships), so ther are no curves for me to enjoy. Also, my only encounters with SUVs are assholes in Expeditions that drive 15 mph over the speed limit and cut everyone off on the Interstate highways around here. I swear, I think I ought to put a freakin' air horn in Old Faithful so I don't get killed...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I live on Long Island and every other jerk on the road drives an SUV and there is no need to. Every road is paved. There are no mountains and not even many hills. It rarely snows and when it does its gone in two days.

I think the most offroading that the SUVs around here do is driving throught the neighbors flowerbed.

I HATE them!!!

G

·
Rbodeman said:
I live on Long Island and every other jerk on the road drives an SUV and there is no need to. Every road is paved. There are no mountains and not even many hills. It rarely snows and when it does its gone in two days.

I think the most offroading that the SUVs around here do is driving throught the neighbors flowerbed.

I HATE them!!!
Yep, this is exactly what we're talking about in this thread...yuppies and wannabes who drive these 4000lb+ vehicles urbanly, thinking they're on top of the world. I live in a navy town of about 25,000 people, about 8,000 of whom are military. The last ten years or so the SUV has become "the shit." Before then, sports cars were the ideal vehicle. Based on location, I just don't see why someone around here actually prefers an SUV. The Cascade and Olympic Mountains are only a couple hours away, but how many of these guys actually go there to make use of their Tonka toy? Nearly none. They'd rather use it as a commuter vehicle, getting 10-15mpg, looking bright and shiny 24/7 and riding imports' butts. My girlfriend grew up in rural southern Oregon, and whenever we go to visit her family, I actually see people using their SUVs on the back-roads-- for hauling, 4x ing, winter driving in severe weather, and exploring. A coworker at the ISP I work for recently bought a new Toyota Tacoma as his first new vehicle, and after only owning it for a couple months, scratched his head one day, looked at me and another guy, and said "I don't know really why I bought it instead of a car-- it's just that all my friends were saying I should. Hmmmm... it just doesn't ride or handle very good, especially at high speeds." On the other side of the coin, another coworker has a small farm and traded in his F150 in on a new Dodge Ram. However, this guy had to walk out of several dealerships when they continually tried talking him out of a 2wheel drive version. He just doesn't understand the reasons most people give for owning a 4x either. Anyway, I just had to vent a bit on this subject. SUVs are definitely ideal vehicles in certain conditions and needs, but I would honestly like to know just how many people buy them for those reasons (i.e. severe weather conditions, they live on a mountain, they need a new farm vehicle, they really enjoy offroading, etc). Reasons for the SUV craze may offer insight as to why such greats as the RX-7, 300Z, and..of course...MX-6, are no longer in production. Don't very many people want affordable driver's cars any more?

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
Very well said tlk. I think that the SUV has pretty much become the trend these days as a status symbol. It seems that all the manufacturer's are doing, is cancelling whatever models (regardless of what the enthusiasts have to say) that aren't selling as well as others, so to have more money to satisfy the new trend. In Mazda's case, they cancelled the MX6, MX3 and RX7. Anyone notice that sports cars are again starting to gain popularity now that pretty much everyone on a power trip owns an SUV? I'm guessing that's why the RX7 is again being manufactured in Japan, and hopefully on our shores again, though it would be really nice to see another 2 door sports coupe like the MX6.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have a different prospective

I live in Dallas, all roads are paved. I like SUVs.

I think a lot of people do not realize what an SUV really does for someone. 1st of all, you cannot buy a car with that much room inside--I think this is one of the main reasons people buy them. My girlfriend used to have a 1996 Eclipse GS (auto), it was a nice car. But you damn near needed an elevator to get in and out of it. She got rid of it after about 3 years, and had been looking for something she'd like. She was almost ready to buy a full size extended cab Chevy truck, then she drove a couple, and realized how long they are, and don't offer a huge amount of room (interior). Then she started considering SUVs. She wanted more interior room, and cargo space. Even a brand new Lincoln Town car ($45k) can't give her the space she found in the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee--not to mention also, she didn't have $45K. It is not as nice as a Lincoln, but it is comfortable and roomy.

Paid under $13K for it. She loves it. I love the way a car rides, drives, fuel economy, and speed. I've always (and she too) had a fear of getting broadsided in that Eclipse. If a full size truck were to T-bone us, their bumper would be in our face(s). In the Jeep, that bumper would be at our hips. Also, although it has just the 4.0L 6 cylinder, that thing will get up and go (not that it would hang with our MX6s). And she doesn't "boss" herself around the streets, riding people's asses and all that either.

I do agree, that a lot of people can't handle good ground clearance, and ample momentum with a clear head. I do think a lot of people think that they are all bad ass because of that. I would not drive that way. We also never plan on trying to go 4wheelin' (it is a 2wd). However, the ground clearance does come in useful when we go fishing (to get to the spots). We were also able to haul a 31" TV (in the box) in the rear.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Actually, you can buy a vehicle with that much room inside; in fact, the VW Passat station wagon has very nearly as much room as some of the most popular SUVs despite being a midsize car. The reason for this is that SUVs are built on truck frames, with high floorpans to accomodate off-road suspnsion systems and the corresponding oversize tires. Since car-based station wagons don't have to contend with this, they can carry much more payload for the size. Also, this means that minivans can carry far more than similarly-sized SUVs, as well as accomdate seven passengers much more comfortably, thanks to the lower floorpan. But since minivans are seen by everyone and his brother as mom-mobiles... *sigh*

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Mini Vans

I was waiting for someone to say mini vans. And I agree, they are roomier, especially for their size. However, I would NOT, I repeat, WOULD NOT buy one for me.

I would, however, buy a full size conversion van. You can pick one up with virtually every option you'd want for about $25K. TV, VCR, 2 stereos (front & rear), front & rear A/c, and so on. Now that is some room.

As far as station wagons, I could see that arguement also. But once again, you put your face level with truck bumpers.

Oh yeah, Saturday night, I saw a pretty serious wreck. A Chevy S-10 obviously rear-ended a full size Chevy (between a 1977 to 1987) truck that was parked on the side of a highway. The front end of that S10 was DEMOLISHED, completely. I mean, this is the worst front end damage I've seen in a long time. The engine was probably damn near sitting in the seat of the cab. I even exited the highway and did a U-turn and passed by once again. What is really amazing, the full size truck was, from what I could see, it was hardly even damaged. Maybe a bent bumper (from what you could see--maybe it did frame damage).

Imagine hitting that truck with a mid sized car, that bumper would probably have gone through the windshield. The thought of that makes me shutter.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tell me about it. Down here in VA and also where I'm from in PA a lot of dudes have trucks with 38" tires and like 7 inch lift kits. Excuse my stereotype, but a lot of these guys are your local bar regulars. I'm an intern at GE in VA, so I drive home every weekend to work on my car and work on my dirtbike. Sometimes I come home late on friday night and I always cringe when I see one of those big trucks coming at me. If one ever hit me, it would demolish my car and the only damage to the truck would be a bent rim or something. Actually one time I was at a National motocross race and the parking was terrible to get out. Everyone was cutting the line and making those of us in line have to wait a lot longer. I didn't wanna let any of these fools in front of me and there was a huge lifted truck right ahead of me. So I put about 3 or 4 feet of the front of my car under the back of the truck. Now tell me that I wouldn't die if I got into an accident with that truck on the road.

G

·
Definitely "Safer" but...

There's no argument against the idea that SUVs are much better to be inside when up against another SUV. And I understand that some people actually own them for roominess, practicality (stuffing them full of people, luggage, the day's shopping spree, etc), and for rough terrain, but there is just this HUGE segment of owners that feel Bigger is always Better. I laugh my a** off every winter when I see 4x4's in ditches, because they were driving too fast for conditions and couldn't stop when somebody pulled in front of them or an animal ran across the road. I just don't want to feel I have to drive an SUV in order to either be trendy and king of the road, or for fear of getting a bumper in the face. On the other hand, it's nice to know I can drive my girlfriend's Explorer when we go to the hardware store-- although I think twice about passing an MX-6 on the freeway. :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not exactly sure how the thread got to this, but anyway I have a sequeal to the original post. Though this time it invovles a Taurus. Again my dad and I where driving through Missouri on our way to hunting. It was pretty late and we where getting near Bennet Springs(really twistie roads). This Taurus had been following us for 30 min. He followed really close and the headlights where starting to get annoying, but he refused to pass us, bumper latcher I guess. Well when it started to get curvy my dad never kicked the cruise off 60. After every turn the Taurus would fall a little behind then floor it to catch up and then sit there. Then it got to be really twistie and, well bye bye! His headlights blinked out behind the hills, we never did see him again
Now for all of this discussion on trucks, not where I was amining with this thread but it works. These stories of losing people in the twisties are great but I havnt told you about when we actually get to the deer cabin. You have to drive 2 or 3 miles down a well groomed gravel road. Even then I crawl along at 15mph lest my car is shakin to pieces. The other guys have a new F-150 and a Jeep Renegade(CJ5 with a V8). They can zip right through there no prob. I dont want a truck or SUV. God help me I hope a never do but maybe if you drive on that kind of stuff it would make sense. But how many people do you know that go out and buy these huge mothers and then use it for suburban driving and drive extremly agresivly. Well the next Cadillac Escallade may have more horspower than a Mustang Cobra but it gets like 10mpg on premium. We will see how long people justify that when gas continues to go up!

·
Registered
379 Posts
The reason such a disporportionate amoute of damage is inflicted on the car in a car-truck collision is because of the bumpers. Y'see, automobiles classified as cars under EPA standards have to have bumpers that absorb energy (remember the Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon cars that had bumpers on springs? Same principle.) in order to prevent too much damage. Light trucks are exempt from this rule; thus, their bumpers are rigidly mounted to the chassis itself. Result: Whatever hits the bumper takes ALL the force of impact, 'cause them big chrome horns on pickup trucks aren't gonna give an inch.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Buy an SUV for the room inside???? Are you kidding me. Most of them dont have room for the bulkyness of them. My brother has a Grand Cherokee and when three people get in the back you have to SLAM the door shut to make it close. Most you can not fit a sheet of plywood in and so what they can care 2 by 4. Heck I just fit 20, count them 20 2 by 4s in my MX6 the other day and the truck still close and nothing hanging out the window.

Yes I know mini vans are geeky but for us on Long Island where there are no dirt roads, minivans serve the purpose much better than SUV

BUT I THINK THE BIGGEST REASON TO HATE SUVs IS THAT IT KILLED THE MX6 AND ALL OTHER SPORT CAR MARKETS IN THE US.

DOWN WITH THE SUV!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
The ones out now aren't even real 4x4s. The Subaru Legacy Outback has the same ground clearance as the Ford Explorer (and yet, Consumer Reports found the Explorer was tippier than a Suzuki Samurai... hmmmm....). Back in the day, the luxoboat now knows as the Chavy Tahoe was actually a two-door 4x4 known as the K-5 Blazer, and it had actual off-road capability. It had no leather seating surfaces or concert sound audio systems or automotic 4wd. It could be had with a MANUAL transmission. It had a removable rear roof! There was even a pop-top shell one could purchase through their Chevrolet dealer so that they could use their K-5 as a mini-camper. Nowadays, "roughing it" seems to mean what happens when room service doesn't arrive within half an hour.

About the post regarding nerdish minivans: It should be known that Chrysler will offer a version of the 300M's V6 (retuned to run on 87 octane fuel) in its higher-lne minivans. Also, it appears that Mazda's new MPV uses the KL-03 V6 from the 626/MX-6. Let's give TKT a call about it :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
u said it

in australia we have hicks who think they can drop a small block chev into a 4x4 and they are set. theres quite a few around and they clatter and rumble like all hell with the v8 motors but they just used a quarter tank to get from light to light. suv and 4x4 vehicles i feel offer an extreme false sense of security for the driver, in an accident at reasonable speeds sure the 4x4 driver feels safe in fact he exposes his fuel tank to be slammed into by a car and explode not to mention his stupid hi centre of gravity with all that weight. and cornering to avoid or swerve round another car..forget it. have you tried cornering a forklift truck at high speeds? thats the chance he has of making that corner. why do yards push to sell them instead of cars? parts wear and replacement costs. thats my 2cents ..and converted to US dollars thats .00075 of a cent.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
SUVs

I agree that not even the Grand Cherokee is as roomy as one would like. I think that the Dodge Durango can seat more (in its class) than all the others.

Of course, then there is the Suburban, the Expedition, and I'm sure everyone knows of the Excursion. Look at the premium you pay for those, and they are crazy big. I'd save the money, and get a "bigger bang" for my buck and get a full size conversion van.

And my point, to a lot of this, is that no one offers a large car anymore for under $35K (US $$). And I'm not even going to touch a Station Wagon. I think that whether most people realize it or not, this is the MAIN reason SUVs are so popular. Think about that. Think about how many MiniVans you see, I see just as many MiniVans as I do SUVs. Why? Once again, people need space. Imagine a husband and wife with 3 kids. What vehicle would you buy? Probably the one that provides the most comfort, and maybe even durability/versatility. That is where the SUV beats the Mini. Chrysler's Mini tows 2000lbs, Grand Cherokee can tow 5000lbs, and has a payload of 1150lbs.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with anyone, or persuade anyone to like SUVs. I also agree with everyone that there are dumb a$$s out there who think that Bigger is Better, and all that. They feel invinceable in their SUV. But there are also dumb a$$es out there who drive little sports cars that think they can Zing and Zang their way all through traffic, and take corners at 90mph and so on. :)

Maybe SUV drivers feel that way about us?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
feeling invincible?

What a lot of people fail to realize is that while an SUV does fair well against a smaller vehicle. They're horrible when hitting solid objects. They tend to crush under their own wieght. Check out this crash test on two of the most popular SUV's.

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/95030.htm

and

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96002.htm

Now at the opposite end of the spectrum, lets look at small cars:

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/98010.htm

and

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/97009.htm

Now. You tell me, which one would you rather be in?

Also, SUV's have a problem with a high center of gravity. Last year I saw an accord flip over an explorer like it was a toy. The Accord had minor damage (not even enough to set the airbags off), and the explorer was keeled over with the driver talking to us out of the sunroof like it was a window. If it were a geo metro it would've been a 5 minute fender bender.

Now, the thing that REALLY pisses me off. is these ******* assholes with the lift kits and 35" tires. These vehicles should be banned by the DOT. The vehicle manufacturers never designed these things to be this high. The will ride up and over most cars in an impact, and even if you're in an explorer or something you're totally screwed. Just imagine how horribly these things stop too. I see one in particular right by my house in Staten Island, NY (where it totally dosent fit in). It's some moron in an old crappy beat up van, primer colored, with those enormous tires and a huge as lift kit. He also has a confederate flag on the antenna. Well there's this curve on the road. Sharp and severely negatively banked. He takes this turn as fast as the cars do, and his tires are howlin away as he does it. I swear to god he's going to flip this thing one day. I hope he does. Cuz that will mean there's one less jerk-off on the road who feels he should put everyone's lives in danger because he thinks he has a small penis.

Oh and if you wanna see a REALLY bad crash test. Take a look at the pontiac trans-sport/montana.

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96026.htm

now THAT is scary.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts