Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok here are my plans for my six (not concrete but 80% sure i'm taking this route).

1. Rebuild KLDE
2. KLZE cams, intake manifold
3. HotShot headers
4. 2 1/2 in exhaust from headers back
5. Borla muffler
6. Belt driven turbo and FMIC (prolly probeaddiction but maybe somewhere else)
7. Stand alone ecu or at least VAF controller
8. MSD Ignition
9. Millenia S injectors
10. FPR
11. Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

ok, now the part that i need help with. I'm getting the belt driven turbo for sure, i dont want to mess with an exhaust driven one (had a 90 eclipse turbo.....to many problems). What i need some input on is should i put the ZE cams into the DE with plans on running boost? I know i cant be making the compression real high with just the motor if im planning on running boost cuz that'll just stress the engine to much. Are the ZE cams going to up the compression? I need to know this before i finalize my plans. Also, should i remove the VRIS? I hear that it can block the flow on turbo'd cars because they dont open untill certian points in the rpm range. Any opinions would be great.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
as in belt driven turbo, you mean a supercharger. why not just boost it with a custom turbo setup, what problems are you talking about? anyone on this board will agree that when you mod any car you will always run into problems sooner or later, thats why its a hobby. either way, goodluck with your project, hope it turns out good...:tup:

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was a stock turbo with around 200,000 miles on it that was also in a wreck where the guy hit a wall doing 60mph. I put a whole new front clip on, the car was screwed from the start. ended up dropping a valve into the cylinder and putting a hole in the piston. ANYWAY.....can we get back to the point of this damn thread please!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Intake Setup—VAF Placement/VRIS Plates Boost Start Full Boost
VAF before turbo, VRIS plates operating normally. 3800 RPM 4200 RPM
VAF before turbo, VRIS #1 tied open 3500 RPM 4000 RPM
VAF after turbo, no filter on inlet, VRIS plates normal 3000 RPM 3500 RPM
VAF after turbo, no filter on inlet, both VRIS plates open 2500 RPM 3000 RPM

thats really the only info i have seen on it..
did some one utilize the vris with a controller or stock ecu? probetalk? id like to figure out how also.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
dj2501 said:
I don't know really. I was talking about
from probeaddiction
Alright man- You're Talking Circles around yourself.

What is it that you want to know? I'm still not clear.
The picture above is a Maf (Mass air Flow) Conversion. The KL has a VAF (Vane air flow) which many people consider a major obstruction of air, so the convert to maf- which is considered to be less of an obstruction.

Or you can go standalone and have neither :)

VRIS are the two sets of butterflies in the intake manifold.

BTW- Something I forgot to mention last night
Compression ratio is the volume of the combustion chamber when the piston is at the botom of it's stroke compared to when the piston is at the top of it's stroke.
Cams have nothing to do with it.

No offense, but if you are this mixed up about things, You really shouldn't touch any part of an engine untill you pick up a few books.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
I could build you a Megasquirt for half the cost of that and then you could get rid of the VAF / MAF completely.
dj2501 said:

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have only seen ONE person convert to a MAF and its pointless. Not only was the whole process of programming a nightmare but it took him over a year to make it run right. You dont gain anything tuning wise and you might gain 1-2whp from the loss of the VAF, which really is a VAIN AIRFLOW meter. V doesnt stand for volume because our computers have no way of judging the volume of air going into the engine, niether does a MAF. MAP sensors are the only sensors that tell a computer pressure. Our VAF's judge only hte velocity of the intake stream.

Since your going to boost you should be using some form of stand alone management, if not then your wasting your time building a motor. And since you will probably end up with EMS why bother keeping the VAF or putting in a MAF??

I would recommend using 03 cams for sure, I miss mine. ZE's are fun but it just makes it lag like crazy.

And when it comes to vris you clowns can argue all you want but I held the VRIS solenoids open on a 93 turbo probe and watched the torque drop. The power was smoother from start to finish with functional vris and it made more top end power and more low end torque. If your stock ECU is controlling anything under the hood the vris should be left functional like stock. If you dont believe me, go dyno and prove me right. Cheers and happy boosting!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.