Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago i had to get a new radiator because a numerous leaks through the top of the plastic. Has any one else had this problem let me now. Now i have a metal radiators and hope to have no problems.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My stock radiator went out about a year ago. Started boiling over at the top on a trip from Austin to Houston. That was the longest '3 hour' drive of my life, turned into about 6 with all the stops and refills. The little teeth that hold the top on just couldn't hold it in any longer, but it's been fine with a new one.
Beach.
'91 GT.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Um don't quite remember where i got it some local stopre i think paid 168 for it and its aluminum. Works great.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thats funny. I have had problems with the metal ones. I now have had a plasic one. Haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How much are you guys paying for radiators because I can see coolant sitting on the top of mine after driving

G

·
I replaced my radiator with a Modine and I haven't had any problems with it. The top tank on was cracked probably as a result of having contact with a deer. I expect the Modine radiator to last forever.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I hope you got the thermostat replaced at the same time. One main reason the plastic top fails is that the thermostat gets stuck and builds up too much pressure in the radiator.
This happened to me at around 156k miles.

·
Registered
268 Posts
"I hope you got the thermostat replaced at the same time. One main reason the plastic top fails is that the thermostat gets stuck and builds up too much pressure in the radiator. This happened to me at around 156k miles."

How did this happen? If there's too much pressure in the radiator it should bleed into the resevoir and if that gets too high there's runoff where it will leak to the ground.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have no idea. I just remember there where hairline fractures on the plastic top and coolant would spray out of those cracks, but no coolant was running out into the reservoir. Wierd huh?
My car was running hot all the time like the thermostat was stuck and not letting coolant into the engine. The radiator shop guy said when the plastic radiator top fails you should replace the thermostat too, because the failed thermostat causes the plastic top to fail. Since I had 156k at the time I just figured he was probably right. I don't think I got ripped off or anything, but I can't figure out why the pressure was building up enough to crack that plastic piece.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine cracked as well last year and I had a new radiator put in new, but not the thermostat and I've had no problems. Whether you had thermostat problems or not, it couldn't hurt to put a new one in with over 150k miles, they're really not that expensive.

Anyone else have any ideas on that one?

G

·
Our OEM radiators are made of plastic on the top. After years of use the plastic becomes very brittle and weak. The heating and cooling causes the them to expand and contract, weakening them a lot after a while. I've used JB weld on top of my Dad's radiator 3 months ago, so far it's holding on. Just make sure you roughen the area a lil bit.

G

·
Thunder18 said:
How much are you guys paying for radiators because I can see coolant sitting on the top of mine after driving
The radiator on my '88 MX6 started leaking from the top about a year ago (no visible cracks, but bubbling/oozing from the raised squared off area the nameplate sat on, as well as from the crimped joints)-- priced a new OEM at over $200 here. Finally found a metal one at Advance Auto Parts (formerly Western Auto) for about $70. Fit well, dropped right in, no more problems. I had replaced the thermostat about a year before the radiator started leaking, so didn't replace it again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts