Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Older cars always have deteriorating plastic wire connectors and wiring. My car some of the wires and connectors wore out, the solution is to get a replacement connector if findable, and splice the wire from the wiring harness to the new connector.

The other problem is when only the plastic breaks, and you are left with the wire. You can plug in the wires without a connector, and hope they don't come loose. Most of the time iit works without any issues.

My question is when the wires are still good, and the plastic connector is gone, is there anyway to put on a new connector.....probably not. So the only thing to do if you want a secure connection is to get a new plastic connector, and cut and splice the wire to it. I just haven't been wanting to cut and splice a perfectly good wire, so just have left them like that. One example is the 3 prong wire from the harness going to the ckg sensor wire. It is easy to connect them.....but it is also easy to get them mixed up.

·
Super Moderator
2,157 Posts
You can buy new connectors. I forget who the maker of our stuff is but i have a few catalogs from different manufacturers in my google drive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I know you can buy new plastic connectors. But to use them, the wires need to cut and spliced, as discussed.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Good question. I saw a YouTube video of a guy showing how to remove and then reinsert wires into a plastic connector. He used a sharpened paper clip (avoided buying the special tool) to push back the barbs (sorta like a fish hook) that hold the end of the wire in place in the connector. But this was on an old VW, and I have no idea if the same method works on other cars.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts

one of the best investments ever if working with electrical plugs!!! Makes de pinning the wires from plugs very easy, no cutting of wires and spicing. Just pop the pin out and plug into new connectors

·
Registered
74 Posts
one of the best investments ever if working with electrical plugs!!! Makes de pinning the wires from plugs very easy, no cutting of wires and spicing. Just pop the pin out and plug into new connectors
That kit is amazing. I suspect I've got some electrical work in my future, but I'm not quite sure I can justify the price of admittance yet. (Yes, I'm cheap...) I guess I may be convinced otherwise eventually, depending on the number of places I'm dealing with connector damage.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Eh the kits aren’t to expensive. I think I paid around $80 on Amazon for it.... but I needed it because of the shit show of a project I decided to get myself into ha

·
Registered
74 Posts
Eh the kits aren’t to expensive. I think I paid around $80 on Amazon for it.... but I needed it because of the shit show of a project I decided to get myself into ha
A lot of our connectors can be de pinned with a small screwdriver, patience, and finesse.
And that's why I can't quite justify the $80. I'm sure it would make my life a lot easier, but... if it takes me two hours longer because I'm using a small screwdriver, it's like I'm making $40 an hour to be frustrated, and I can use that on other car parts, lol. Now, the pins you have to deal with, the quicker that becomes worthwhile, I'm sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts