Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... cruisin down the freeway one night on the way home from work I saw some fog lamps coming up on me pretty fast. Being the road racer I am I dropped a gear and put some gas in it... the lights behind me started to fall back a little. I guess thats when he realized that he had a little competition in front of him. He put some power on and whipped around the traffic to catch up with me.. I was up around 100mph at this point zipping by the few cars on the 4 lane. We came up on the bridge which is about a 2-3 mile run. I could see him coming up fast for the bridge run so I hit 4th gear again with every last drop of fuel I could squeeze into it bringing me towards my top of 130mph when he was about a car length behind me.... I would hope that at this time he would be thinking to himself... hmmm those Mazda's are pretty fast because when I hit 130mph and ceased my accelleration he didnt... He then breezed by me I would guess reaching 10 to 15mph faster than me maybe more. It was a 300ZX newer model I would hope that he was a turbo because I thought 130mph for a stock V6 like mine was pretty damn good. I wish I knew what he had. Anyone know the specs on the 300ZX'es?

G

·
I think non-turbo Z's will do 140-150...

The turbo Z does about 160mph, from what I've read. The normally-aspirated will do 140+. They're not electronically governed, but US MX-6s are. If you dig around some of the posts on mx6.com, you'll find that several members have said their 6 will do 150mph though. I believe this is because their car either has a chip which eliminates the rev governor, or the car was sold outside the US (a couple guys are from South Africa and from Australia). Anyway, GOOD race!!! I drove a '91 Z (non turbo)a couple years ago and did not find it to be any faster than my '96 w/2.5L. It didn't seem to handle any better either. A couple months ago I outaccelerated a Z behind me getting onto the freeway-- although he had a passenger.

[Edited by tlk on 11-21-2000 at 05:30 PM]

·
Registered
61 Posts
i just think it's crazy how you 6'ers think you can beat almost any car on the road. they aren't super cars, they're the sports car for someone who doesn't want to spend all the money. but since i can't convince you, just keep thinking your ford owned mazda's are just the best on the road

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
what is your deal man (wantmx6) i mena the 6 is not a super car, no one ever said it was, the mx6 can beat jut about anything in its class, if u fix it up and u can drive u can take some pretty fast cars, so i dont know where u r getting off talking smack about a phat ride like a 6, the 6 is no viper or corba R, they cost more than 60 grand, the 6 can cost from 4000 to 11000 so the 6 is a very nice car the price

·
Registered
134 Posts
wantmx6 said:
i just think it's crazy how you 6'ers think you can beat almost any car on the road. they aren't super cars, they're the sports car for someone who doesn't want to spend all the money. but since i can't convince you, just keep thinking your ford owned mazda's are just the best on the road
First of all, you can build a 6 to beat almost any car on the road. It's all about how much you want to spend. Sure, there's things that will always beat it, but "almost any" isn't all now is it? Most people don't spend the time or money on their cars that the people on this board do, so beating their stock "Sports" cars is very possible. Second, if the 6 is so horrible why would you want one? Or better yet, why do you even bother coming on this board to waste people's time? Go buy a GM. It seems that's what you want anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i didn't mean any of that in an offensive way. and yeah, your right. you can build any car to be just about the fastest. i never said the 6 was a "horrible car". i like it. i would just never try to say i almost beat a 300zx or a supra, maybe an rx7, or like some people said, they raced a viper. and the only gm that i like that i can afford is the 82-92 which weren't built that well in the first place. so, sorry for sounding offensive, just don't make it sound as if you can beat some of these cars. especially if you have a 2nd gen because from what some of the 1st gen guys have been saying that you can only wish to get the times they do with the money they spend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wantmx6 said:
i didn't mean any of that in an offensive way. and yeah, your right. you can build any car to be just about the fastest. i never said the 6 was a "horrible car". i like it. i would just never try to say i almost beat a 300zx or a supra, maybe an rx7, or like some people said, they raced a viper. and the only gm that i like that i can afford is the 82-92 which weren't built that well in the first place. so, sorry for sounding offensive, just don't make it sound as if you can beat some of these cars. especially if you have a 2nd gen because from what some of the 1st gen guys have been saying that you can only wish to get the times they do with the money they spend.
I never said that I was ever going to beat this car... for almost the entire time I didnt even know what kind of car was behind me. I am not trying to say that I could ever beat a 300Z of any model but I thought that it was fun trying and that I would share with some of the people whom you are refering that keep saying they can beat vipers and everything. I dont think any stock mazda, except for RX7, could take a fairlady. But its fun trying... I am not racing the streets for the win.. purely for the fun!

G

·
Uh, I think you posted this in the WRONG thread

wantmx6 said:
There are some goobers on this site who think their stock MX-6 will beat nearly all other performance cars out there. However, in this thread, dacr11 simply mentioned he kept up with a 300Z (220HP)while going down the road. This is equivalent to saying that a well-driven 5spd MX-6 w/V6 will keep up with a 1st Gen Mustang GT (225HP). It's not like he said he "toasted a twin-turbo Z" or something idiotic like that. I think your post would be very suitable for other threads, but not this one....just a suggestion.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
oh gawd here goes the fighting again. anyways yes the 300ZXTT has 300 HP stock, does a 13.9 and im not sure about the 0-60. add a chip, exhaust and intake and theyre up towards 400HP

·
Registered
781 Posts
Racin against 300Z

Just for information
i have a 93 MX6 LS V6 5spd
and for my first 1/4 run ever at the Track i was up against a friend with his 92 300Z V6 (non Turbo)
He had been running his car about and hour before i had got there so he had his reaction alot better than mine Since it was my first time i was a bit nervous and excited. Now his car is a 5spd V6 with Custom Dual Exhaust- im not sure what kind- and all i had at the time was a new Intake.
His reaction time was 0.82 and Well mine was 1.3
My 60ft time ended up to be .42 faster
But he still ended up beating me with his time as 15.87 and mine was 16.08 He was close to 2mph faster
I then Raced him on the street at a stop light a week later
and beat him by about 1 1/2 car lengeths.
Now once again Whats the Hp on the 300Z nissan V6
and the torque ?

G

·
Re: Racin against 300Z

MZDASPDR said:
Just for information
i have a 93 MX6 LS V6 5spd
and for my first 1/4 run ever at the Track i was up against a friend with his 92 300Z V6 (non Turbo)
He had been running his car about and hour before i had got there so he had his reaction alot better than mine Since it was my first time i was a bit nervous and excited. Now his car is a 5spd V6 with Custom Dual Exhaust- im not sure what kind- and all i had at the time was a new Intake.
His reaction time was 0.82 and Well mine was 1.3
My 60ft time ended up to be .42 faster
But he still ended up beating me with his time as 15.87 and mine was 16.08 He was close to 2mph faster
I then Raced him on the street at a stop light a week later
and beat him by about 1 1/2 car lengeths.
Now once again Whats the Hp on the 300Z nissan V6
and the torque ?
HP is 220, but I'm not sure about torque...probably a little more than our 2.5L, since the Z has of course a bigger engine. Curb weight for the Z is just over 3000 pounds though (compared to our 2800), so this is why both cars are nearly an even match by the numbers. This is also why I don't understand where wantmx6 was coming from. We're NOT talking about the turbo Z here...that car is NO match for an MX-6, unless it were very heavily modded. Great race against the non-turbo Z!!!!!!!

G

·
First of all, you can build a 6 to beat almost any car on the road. It's all about how much you want to spend. I don't see why thats a big deal being that you can mod the hell out of any car to be as fast as you want. A fast car without all the mods is so much more respectable then something that is only fast because of all the time and money put into a car. Just my thoughts.

G

·
MazdaManiac said:
First of all, you can build a 6 to beat almost any car on the road. It's all about how much you want to spend. I don't see why thats a big deal being that you can mod the hell out of any car to be as fast as you want. A fast car without all the mods is so much more respectable then something that is only fast because of all the time and money put into a car. Just my thoughts.
Amen. A fast stock car is always nice for those stop light races where you win, and the guy pulls up alongside you 1/2 mile up the road and says: "WHAT do you have in there?" As another MX6.com member said in one of his Kill Stories, he just looked at the guy, smiled, and said "...oh, This... well it's just a stock Mazda."

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
MazdaManiac said:
I disagree...putting your time and money into your baby and breaking a sweat, drawing blood...these are the things that earn respect with a lot of racers. I respect a fast stock car too but what happens when youre driving your z28 out lookin for a race and one exactly like yours pulls up on the side of you?...just some food for thought

G

·
JspecMX-6 said:
MazdaManiac said:
I disagree...putting your time and money into your baby and breaking a sweat, drawing blood...these are the things that earn respect with a lot of racers. I respect a fast stock car too but what happens when youre driving your z28 out lookin for a race and one exactly like yours pulls up on the side of you?...just some food for thought
Well, when you put it like that... Hmmm... I guess the stock philosophy is only good when you win.

G

·
I disagree...putting your time and money into your baby and breaking a sweat, drawing blood...these are the things that earn respect with a lot of racers. I respect a fast stock car too but what happens when youre driving your z28 out lookin for a race and one exactly like yours pulls up on the side of you?...just some food for thought [/B][/QUOTE]

What will happen is the better driver will win, something that the racer can truly take pride in. It is much more rewarding to say "I am a superior driver than you," than it would ever be to say, "Oh boy, my car is faster than yours because i put more money into it." In racing ability should be more important, because anyone can buy some NOS, but you can't buy skill.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
MazdaManiac said:

What will happen is the better driver will win, something that the racer can truly take pride in.
I agree but thats not what im talkin about. im sayin that when you have an exact model as someone else, you have no individuality. what if we all walked around with the same face and wore the same clothes?

·
Registered
379 Posts
But that would make everyone here all the same. The only truly unique automobile is Henry Ford's original 1896 Quadricycle. Everythig since has been mass produced in order to sell well and make money. You car can say a lot about you, but it most certainly does not say everything about you. I'll agree that it gets repetitive to see riced out Hondas, but it also gets repetitive to see riced-out anything. To me it's a matter of tastefulness.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts