Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me

I have a problem guys, it started maybe two weeks ago, when it started to get cold. When I first crank the car in the morning and backup, turn the wheel, there is a feeling of resistance...almost like some bearing is not lubed enough. Then as I go on down the road and turn the wheel to the right or left past a certain point, it's like the wheels stick in that position, and I can let go of the steering wheel and it'll maintain that same circle all day if i wanted it to. I have to physically turn the wheel back straight. But, like i said, it just feels like it sticks...Are there some bearings or something that I could have lubed or greased up to make this stop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It really scares me when I make a turn and expect the wheel to automatically straighten up and it doesn't. I have almost ran off the road because of it.

Thanks
Heather
:)

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
You should check out your powersteering lubricant. Also, maybe you should get your car to wheel alignment. Sounds like a problem with wheel alignment to me. :shrug:

Mici

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
i belive it the spring bearings...some one has to know the ones that go right against the strut mount...i don't have mine on there and thats what happens...once i turn so much it stay that way...when i come to a stop i spin the wheel soo far the other way and then its all straight...check out those bearings

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
"Then as I go on down the road and turn the wheel to the right or left past a certain point, it's like the wheels stick in that position, and I can let go of the steering wheel and it'll maintain that same circle all day if i wanted it to. "

this is Not a wheel alignment problem.

U might want to also have ur rack & pinion steering checked out.
that'd be my guess

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
astrochimp said:
"Then as I go on down the road and turn the wheel to the right or left past a certain point, it's like the wheels stick in that position, and I can let go of the steering wheel and it'll maintain that same circle all day if i wanted it to. "

this is Not a wheel alignment problem.

U might want to also have ur rack & pinion steering checked out.
that'd be my guess
There's a small chance that it's an alignment problem if the caster is WAY off.

| <--strut

should be /
could be \

Know what I mean?
-Chris

·
Registered
428 Posts
my power stearing unit has a small crack in it, and sometimes the pressure is not high enough to power stear. Usually happens after driving on the highway and giong to take the exit, its tough to stear for a second then pops back in. It has been happening recently that in the cold mornings the power steering is gone for a second. that may be it. A guy told me it was because the previous owner floored it on turns and this puts preasure on it.

Don't do burnouts while your wheels are turned.

Chris

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
"my power stearing unit has a small crack in it, and sometimes the pressure is not high enough to power stear. Usually happens after driving on the highway and giong to take the exit, its tough to stear for a second then pops back in. It has been happening recently that in the cold mornings the power steering is gone for a second. that may be it. A guy told me it was because the previous owner floored it on turns and this puts preasure on it.

Don't do burnouts while your wheels are turned.

Chris"

Did your friend tell how to fix the crack. You said "my power stearing unit" what is the unit? Is it the thing that holds the fluid or a line or something? I don't know a whole lot about this stuff but if I can give my husband an idea of where to look or something that would help.

I just had it aligned not too long ago so I hope it isn't that.

It is ten years old and makes clanking noises alot. especially when I go over bumps. I know I probably need to replace all the bushings and ball joints and all that crap underneath it but I guess that will come in time, because I absolutely love this car and have all kinds of plans for it.

Thank you for the suggestions so far, If you think of anything else please post!

Heather

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
In addition to the rack and an alignment problem, I have one other thought. I have never seen it on a six, but I have seen the problem on volvo's. At the bottom of the steering shaft there is a swivel joint that MIGHT have a bad joint in it. Usually what you would experience when turning the steering wheel would be a "tight - loose - tight - loose" kind of feeling in the steering wheel resistance. My gut feeling is that you need a steering rack though.

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike,

You might be right to cause thats how it feels in the morning when I first go to turn the wheel. It gets a little better as I drive more. Do you know if that joint has a boot over that is packed with grease or something cause the feeling is like it needs to be lubed. I plan on getting out there and trying to figure it out this weekend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Make sure you have enough power steering fluid in the reservoir,
and have your hubby siphon out old fluid and put synthetic fluid in. It helped mine because I was having the same problems. Also, NEVER turn the steering wheel all the way and hold it there, make sure you back off some after going all the way,as it also puts added pressure on an already old unit. Also have your hubby check the steering rack/lines to see if leaking, or steering boots are leaking. There are two dust boots that keep the dirt grime out of the rack, if those get cracked and allow dirt/debris to enter the rack, it will deteriorate seals and one day you'll go to drive off and wham! NO power steering at all. Then it costs you about $500. The rack itself shouln't be cracked, just the dust boots. I had this experience with my work car...Honda accord. I did the install and it only cost me $150 for a reman. rack but it was a real pain in the a$$! good luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think it was the unit that holds the Power steering fluid. It should be under pressure, but a crack will reduce the preasure and you could lose the steering. I don't know if thats your problem but I have a small crack. If i keep the fluid to the top, it has enough pressure to work. The reason I did nothing about it is because it was about $450 quoted.

Chris

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you are losing fluid, you need to determine where....as I said, it's usually steering rack seals gone out caused my boots tearing and subsequent debris getting in there. If the dust boots aren't cracked/torn, check the lines and make sure they aren't leaking.
Your "feeling that it needs to be lubed" is a sign that the rack might be failing. I doubt if the actual steering rack is cracked, since it is not exposed as much as the oil pan, MTX case, etc. You might get lucky and find a mechanic that'll put new seals in the rack for a decent price. You don't want to change the rack if you don't have to. Try every alternative first, then determine if you wanna spend a chunkachange on a rack job.

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Power steering pump

My husband got out there and looked at it today. He asked me to come out and listen to it. When he turned the wheel there was a squealing or skreeching sound coming from where the pump is located so he seems to think it is the pump. I guess I will try this cause I'm not loosing any fluid and everything else seems to look ok. Again thank you guys for the suggestions.

Heather

1 - 14 of 14 Posts