Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
same damn problem

I'm hoping that it's my distributor. I just orderd a new one for $250 and am putting it in tomorrow. I got one spark from 1 plug...then it stopped sparking. The coil pack on my disty was cracked in two areas. I just figured that this was it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I swap it out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
how many miles are on your car? What other symptoms? You say battery is fine - is the engine turning, or no response when you turn the key? Is it auto or manual? Could be your timing belt went. Keep updated and let us know what the prob was.

Mike

G

·
My car is an automatic 1995 V6 with 144K miles. The engine kicks, but does not start...a few times it will come close to starting. The timing is fine and the belt is OK.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
did u replace your wires? are ur wires in the right order? is the new distributor sparking? did u put the rotor to the right setting?

G

·
I replaced the distributor with a new one. I also replaced the rotor and plugs. I was not getting spark before, however now I am getting a constant sparking...this is good. The plugs I used are Bosch Platinum +4's and the distributor was a Mitsu part. Everything was removed at TDC and placed back in the same way. I am starting to think that it has to be something with the timing belt that may have slipped, as the fuel is coming through fine and the PCM tested out fine.

Is there any easy way to test the timing or am I better off taking it to a mechanic and paying the 200-300 bones for a new belt and timing?

thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a 1993 auto with 130 k miles. Ir will rotate but it wont start. Ill check the rotor to see if its on the right way. How do you check the PCM? because i have the manual but im confused on how to check the secondary resistance. aren't all V6's integral coils? If someone sould please explain. and how could i make sure that the wires are correct from the distributor to the cylinder? Thanks

G

·
I had a buddy of mine check the PCM, it's detailed in the Haynes Manual. As for the plugs, your distributor cap has numbers on it. These correspond to the cylendar that the plug/wire should be going to. The valve order should be in your haynes/chilton manula. Typically the #1 is in the upper left as your looking at the car head on.

I'm going to get my timing done next month and hope that works...for now I'll settle with the ****urn (i mean saturn ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts