Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the car has lasted a good two years now without any real mechanical issues, so I guess it's time!

Lately my clutch pedal has had A LOT of play in it, in that I have to push it down quite a bit before I start to feel pressure against my foot. The car is also having issues allowing me to actually put it into gear, sometimes acting like I don't even have the clutch pushed down at all. Sometimes I have to let go of the pedal and put it back down again before it will let me put it into gear.

What could the issue be, and what kind of cost would I be looking at to get the issue resolved?

Keep in mind I plan on buying a new car in May when I graduate. I am hoping to have the car get me up until May, I am just worried about being stranded somewhere and not being able to put the car into gear and get it out of the middle of the road.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Or master cylinder. Crawl under the front of the car and locate the slave cylinder. It will be on the lower front of the transmission. Can't miss it. Pull back the boot on the cylinder and check for fluid. If there is fluid, it's bad. Check under the clutch master cylinder inside and outside of the car for fluid also.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or master cylinder. Crawl under the front of the car and locate the slave cylinder. It will be on the lower front of the transmission. Can't miss it. Pull back the boot on the cylinder and check for fluid. If there is fluid, it's bad. Check under the clutch master cylinder inside and outside of the car for fluid also.
Well, I crawled under there and I have no idea what the heck I'm looking at :( I found where the bar comes down from the car that moves when I shift, but I don't know what end it's on or where to even begin. I found a pic of the slave cylinder:

http://www.automotivemazparts.com/includes/images/Mazda_Parts/Maz_CluthSlavCyl.jpg

But I don't think I saw anything like that under the car.

I don't suppose you have some pictures do you? :)

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Yes, most likely another bad clutch slave cylinder. There are probably 15 threads with this exact same problem, it is extremely common. If you can't find it, have someone work the clutch pedal while you look underneath the tranny on the front (radiator) side. It's right up front and easy to access.

Recommend paying the extra and getting a new (unused) slave cyl from the dealer. around $75 vs. $25 for a rebuilt one. I (and others) have found the rebuilt units don't last more than a year. This is a critical part that, when it fails, will leave you stranded.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it turns out I'm a dumbass. For the 5 years I've had this car I never noticed/paid attention to the container that held the clutch fluid. I opened it up and it was bone dry.

Filled it up, and it is shifting much better now so far.

Hopefully it stays that way.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Now that u have put some fluid. Check if is not leaking from the slave cylinder or under the dash were the clutch pedal goes.

·
Registered
510 Posts
check the slave cylinder man because remember the fluid had to go somewhere!

·
Registered
564 Posts
well if you haven't checked it in 5 years then it might be slowly leaking out of the master cylinder, just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
unless you know how to shift without the clutch
Unless you're at a stop, like at a stoplight or stopsign. The tell me how you're going to get going if you're stuck in gear or stuck out of gear?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
in gear: use starter to get it rolling in 1st.
out of gear: push the car and slip it in 1st.

now if you stop on a hill, your fucked. i had the slave cylinder break in my 1st car (truck)

·
Registered
410 Posts
i had a slave cylender go on me, i found if i sat there and pumped the clutch for a while i could get enough pressure to take off, but i drove home in peak hour traffic without a clutch, i just really pissed off the people behind me coz id leave a massive gap and just keep going at like 2km/h. the gear box only had 70xxxkms on it but after all of the clutchless shifting my syncros really didnt like cold mornings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
im am runnin into the same problem, my slave cylinder went b4 n changed it, it happened again and change and the pedal still feel ls the same, no fluid is comin out of the boot when i pull it back, maybe it might be the master cylinder????

·
Registered
38 Posts
i got an '88 MX6...slave cylinder on mine started to leak and clutch got "light". had to bascially push ur foot through the floor to get it to grab.Got an new one off the shelf at autozone for $33.00. put it in and the clutch feels better than ever. What happens with them is all the fluid leaks out and the piston cant compress and it seizes and once that happens..NO GO!!! lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts