Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been viewing the page now for a couple of weeks and think its great. I've been looking into purchasing a MX-6 and finally found one in my area. It's a Red '93ls, with 81,000 miles, leather interior, moonroof and 5 speed. It's for sale for 5,500. I'm going to look at the car Thursday, and was hoping that maybe you guys could tell me what things I should really be looking at and pay close attention too. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That sounds pretty good. You need to see if everything works (A/C, windows, sunroof). You also need to check for oil in the spark plug wells, which means leaky valve covers. Check the drive axle boots for tears or cracking or spilled grease, meaning new CV joints or axles. Since it's a 93 you should also inquire if the rear calipers have been replaced and if the distributor has given any problems. Another kinda important thing is the timing belt replacement (As well as all the other required maintenance at 60000 miles), which can be expensive.

Or just buy my 95 LS w/leather which passes all the above for $7500 :)

Tyson

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ohh yeah, definitely try to get a 95+ MX6 over a 93-94. With the 95+ model, they had already fixed most of the bugs that they had earlier like the rear calipers etc. Look around some more, even though they may be more money, they'll save you money in th elong run. just think, if you get a 93, you'll have to spend money in the Time belt, water pump, plulleys and tensioners, front and rear valve cover gaskets, both rear calipers (They WILL seize) then with all that money that you spend on maintenance, you could have gotten a 95+ and not has to worry about it for a long time.

Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to agree by a 95+. I bought a 93 MX-6 LS last year and had to do the timing belt, water pump and ect.. My rear calipers seized on me a couple of month back and it wasn't cheap to replace. Also did my rear and front cover gaskets. Besides those problems the care runs smooth. All the points mentioned to watch out for happenned to me.

Rear Calipers
Torn CV Boots
Front and Rear Calipers

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think that if you check the '93 out really good, and everything turns out to be well taken care of, then you should get it. My friend and I have a '93 and a 94, we do our own maintenance and repairs so we haven't had to spend that much money on them. They do have their problems every now and then but if it's well taken care of and you take good care of it, it should be fine. Besides, if you're planning on moddifying it then you'll be replacing alot of the "problems" any way. Also you don't have to worry about OBD II, which plays havoc on performance parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your help guys. I just got back from checking the car out. The timing belt and all other mandatory 60,000 mile maintenance was done on time. I past all the tests that tyler listed as well. The only problems were minor cosmetic blemishes, such as, wear on the leather, and a few small cracks around chin spoiler, no accidents though, probably just a curb. There were only two other things in question, (1) When the AC was turned on it made a fast loud ticking noise that could only be heard outside the car, this noise only occured when the car wise idleing, once I reved it up, the noise went away. Loose belt possibly? (2) The other thing was steering seemed a bit rough and made little creeking noise when the car made very slow turns or the wheel was turned when the car wasn't moving. Any guesses? Either way I'm still looking at the car and am probably going to take it to a mechanic to look it over, that we can get a good look at her bottom side. Thanks for all your suggestions guys, keep the feedback coming!

Matt

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The A/C noise sounds like the compressor. I have seen loud compressors that last a long time while being loud. I have also heard of compressors going on cars with low mileage (no Mazdas though). It's probably okay, but if it does go, you'll probably want to have the 93 converted to R-134A.

The other noise sounds like it may be a low fluid level in the power steering, or a dying power steering pump. They whine when they're dying, and when they're low on fluid. Check the level; it may have a leak. I have seen power steering leaks like mad on older Hondas.

It's a good sign that the 60000 mile stuff was done; that's hopefully a sign of a well-cared for car.

Tyson
95 LS (for sale)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have that sound in my power steering. Sort of a small whine that you only hear when the engine is warm and you turn the wheel while not moving. I have checked the fluid levels but no probs there. I havent really worried about it as it isnt that bad and has been going on for quite some time.

Also, sounds liekt he compressor to me. A little noisy isnt too bad...should still be ok for some time. A lot of noise is a different matter altogether....

PeMiL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sound that the stearing makes isn't really a whining, more of a creek. I checked the powersteering fluid when I looked at it, it was right on the mark. The car hasn't been driven in 4 months, could that have something to do with it? Just needs to be loosened up a bit? I took it for a spin, but only about a 5 min. one, the car didn't have any plates on it so I couldn't go far. As far as the AC goes I considered the compressor, but didn't know why the sound would go away when I reved the engine. Could it be wiring? Anyways, the other good news is that the car has only been driven in Texas, and since its been in NY its been in storage. Anyways, here's a pic, so that you get a little bit better idea of what we are dealing with.

Thanks for the insight guys!

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts