Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My temp gauge keeps going up and down. When I start the car it goes up pretty high within a few minutes, then after I drive it for awhile, it goes down (usually) within a few minutes. This last time it didn't and, my steering got really stiff like the power steering went out. It's a 93MX6 LS, I just got it and don't know a whole lot about the car or the problem, it didn't do it when I got it. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I'd appreciate any help at all. Thanks!

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
mmm

similar happened to me.. it turned out to be my water pump, and my cooling system wasnt working.. however I didnt get the steering problem... I wonder if they are two unrelated problems... I dont know a lot about cars either but it could be your water pump

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
First, check the coolant level. A guage that fluctuates like that may indicate a low coolant level. Do you notice any leaks or that sweet-ish ethylene glycol smell?

If the overheating problem is persisting, you may have a bad thermostat (e.g. stuck closed or only opening partially).

A waterpump doesn't really "go bad" in that it stops moving water; it's always being driven by the belt and is turning (unless the shaft breaks but you'd know that right away :)). Usually, you'll hear noise from it as the bearings go out or it'll start to weep coolant through a bad seal. Notice any coolant under the right side of the car, near the front?

Note of warning: Do not let this overheating issue get too bad. As an all-aluminum engine, the KL is pretty sensitive to extreme temps and may develop some pretty serious problems as a result of even one severe overheating event.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here's what I'd check in this order:

1. Check coolant level
2. Check for leaks
3. Make sure coolant system is bled properly.
4. Replace or test thermostat
5. Test operation of cooling fans and thermoswitch on radiator
6. Flush cooling system and install new thermostat if not done so already.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Hey you guys were right about the water pump....here's the scoop: The power steering belt was bad and also runs the water pump. that's why it kept going up and down. It eventually broke (the belt) which is why the car stayed hot. Thanks for all the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts