Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I know this question has come up over and over again, but I really am confused now.
I have just replaced 2 timing belts on 2 straight neck KLZE engines and was wondering what timing belt setting is correct?
I have read in different places different things. Here are the three that I know:
First. Align all the marks up on the cams and crank pulleys to the marks on the engine.
Second. Align all the marks up on the cams and the crank pulley to the marks on the engine, with the left cam pulley (the one when you are looking at the pulleys head on) one tooth counter-clockwise.
And finally. Align all the marks up on the cams and the crank pulley to the marks on the engine, making sure the crank pulley is one tooth counter-clockwise off.
When we got both ZEs, one had the timing belt with the cam one tooth off, while the other had all points on the pulleys lined up to the marks on the engine.
Now really I am totally confused. Which one is it?!
All the help is much appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
The methods you list are used when installing a timing belt, not a final resting place of the timing belt. When the timing belt has been installed, all the marks on the pulleys must line up to the marks on the block. To ensure this has happened, rotate the crank clockwise by hand two full rotations after installing the belt, and verify that the marks still line up. After I installed the belt, all the marks were lined up, but after two rotations, the crank pulley was off by one tooth, so I had to remove and reinstall.

I used a variant of method 3 when installing the belt the second time. I start with both cam's lined up to the marks, and the crank pulley one tooth counter clockwise. Put on the belt, and turn the crank clockwise one tooth to take all the slack from the right side of the crank to the tensioner side of the crank. Verify the cams are still lined up, then release the pin from the tensioner arm, and rotate the crank two full rotations by hand to verify all marks line up, and you're done.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. All sorted. We worked out that the ZE we received had the cam one tooth off by mistake, and when i read the guide to putting a belt on again, it all made sense. It was a bit of a blonde moment.
Thanks again ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts