Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my car broke down and was blowing smoke like crazy out of the #1 cylinder...i took it to firestone today to get it checked and they said that something is seriously wrong with the #1 cylinder...i also blew some gaskets. But i need some of your opinions about this. Should i get someone to look in my engine and check whats wrong with it...maybe i just need to replace piston rings, or should i just go with getting a new motor (like the dual cam one from J-country). Im not one who has lots of money, so im looking for some "professional" opinions on this, please dont say anything in reguards to re-building up the motor with performance pistons or anything like that...im looking for the most efficient cheap alternative...maybe even junkyard shopping. Just i need someone to give me advice. Please respond soon!!!

Gandhi

·
Registered
897 Posts
I hope they didn't charge you to tell you something is seriously wrong with it.

I think a compression check is in order.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well...lets say i have $1000 and thats all im willling to spend. Is that enough to buy the Dual cam engine? And i think a compresion check is out of the picture because ill just be wasting money...to replace the gasket will cost enough and then the check and whatever they tell me to do will involve getting another gasket. I just need prices...like i heard from some other post that the feze? or whatever the dual cam one is sells for $300 with ECU and if thats true then i can get that in and replaced for well under $1000. Please keep replying, all im looking to do is fix the engine...get it running in "GOOD" shape and then sell it. Im soon going to be off to college and then law school so i wont have the time to deal with an old car and all the problems they always entail...so i need something that will get the car running and sellable within 3 - 6 months from now.

Gandhi

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
we u might be able to get teh FE# engine for 300$, but not sure whats the running condition of that engine, so might end up doing a rebuilt for it. wich might cost u more. find out whats teh problem in your engine 1st and then go from there.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Motor problems

It would probably be more cost effective to either drop another motor from a salvage donor into your car, or have your present motor checked for damage and repair it.
The dual cam FE3 would cost more in the end, because of additional time and effort required in adapting it. But, if you were intending on keeping the "6", this may be a worthy thought.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When I replaced my motor I paid $450.00 for it and $350.00 for the install, the engine is beautiful and runs excellent. So that's $800.00 for a used engine installed, and your left with $200.00 to fix anything else you need to fix, or to make it look real shiny for when you sell it ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts