Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is copied/pasted from probetalk. so some of it may not make sense (like when i say "Here are today's updates"

this was done over a 2 month time period from mid-late october

OK well i figured out where to mount the fuse box. it does not fit in the glove box so i was forced to re-decide.

Got all the wiring ran for the fuse box, the two power wires for the MAIN fuse will be ran seperately and routed differently than the rest, which is why they are not there. Eliminated the circuits that i do not need/the car doesnt have (AC/ABS) and eliminated the cooling fan circuit (you'll see why)

Once everything was mounted, i cut and welded existing brackets that were going to be trashed to make new mounting brackets for the fuse box :)

Here are the fruits of today's labor!

Last night's updates, got a late 10 PM start and am taking a break today/tonight to go camping with a couple friends

The wire tuck at this point is done, i still need to extend the cruise control plug since i'm pretty sure its going to be relocated to where it fell in this pic (it was an accident )

The last few plugs (reverse switch, neutral safety switch) will get done when the new stuff is in.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some updates, the owner of the garage is painting the side of his car since he replaced the panels that were damaged in an accident. so i was kind of limited on stuff i could do.

i was hoping to have the engine/trans out last night but it will probably get done tonight instead.

still painting stuff

today was very productive. got the engine pulled and most of the stuff done in the engine bay. cleaned all the oil and grease off (17 years worth of it) and starting shaving and smoothing things out in there.

also got the trans cleaned, sanded, and painted. and some other stuff.

didn't get as far as i had hoped today cause of not having any clutch alignment tools. both of mine went MIA and nobody had any in stock. so i had to make my own. anyways the motors in the car and everything that can be hooked up, is hooked up. The good thing about it not being done is i will probably get a chance to install the walbro 255 i am trading fireredgt and then i shouldnt be running nearly as lean.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motor is in, everything hooked up. Turns out i have a cracked fuel rail tomorrow its getting replaced with one out of my old DE manifold.

no mother****ing spark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

disty has power, replaced crank sensor. HEI module ended up breaking (go figure right) car turns and turns. one thing i noticed is when i rotate the distributor the fuel pump turns on? this is with the key in the ON position as well.

Probe wiring harness (both of them) and ECU.

the starter clicks, no juice. run a new wire to the starter straight from the battery, and then the trip wire from the battery to a switch. just clicks....

I've got a lot of work ahead of me i suppose.....

FU, Car.

is a new electrical system overkill? perhaps....but i guess this really will be a wire tuck LOL
by the time i am done this car will be able to be titled as custom constructed or at least a street rod.

will definately keep this thread updated. and i DO expect constructive criticism and some ideas and input along the way.

my current plan for a fuse box is to have a common power terminal feeding the fuse box, and then the rest of the circuits running off of the fuses.

In preperation for the new wiring, the old wiring has to first be removed (obviously )

I'm waiting my wiring harness supplies as well as my megasquirt i bought from DIYautotune yesterday. hopefully it gets here by saturday. it will be a nice birthday present

thanks to andy (hppwdn) for the KLG4 coil pack brackets, which i modified to sit the coil packs how i like them

Also picked up a rear bumper that doesn't have gashes in it, and it has mudflaps as well which i love on the MX6

pretty productive day today, considering i had to change a strut and wheelbearing on a cougar before i could even get started on my car :\

switch panels, going to be a turbo timer in the center panel as well. the stereo will be in the center slot, and 3 guages in the bottom one The one i made over by the drivers door will have the battery switch, MS switch, and push button start switch....once everything is done on the switch panels and such they will be painted gloss black, along with re-painting the black piece they are mounted to.

got the fuse box mounted, all the wiring to the back of the car is done, also installed my walbro 255

planning to use the factory stalk switches

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
decided to use an actual key ignition and picked up a better quality push button start. the toggle switch is for the MS unit

"custom" relay box

yay wires

fap fap

mucho-progresso today

pigtail for the relay box

mount for the relay box

more work on this, cut the hole and mocked up the turbo timer

my awesome custom 4 way flasher switch using the factory switch. converted it from one input/output to one input/two output. it will not be illuminated though which is a sacrifice i'm willing to live with

****VIDEO****
User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

last pics for tonight, time for rest

well heres some good juicy updates. C&C please. almost 20 hours of work on this stuff alone. it doesn't look too time-intensive just by looking at the pictures but it is VERY time consuming.

came home to print out the diagram for the megasquirt harness and figured i would post these up while i'm here

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heres what got done last night/this morning. I need to run 4 wires behind the dash (Constant 12V, accessory to turbo timer, solenoid trip wire, and the power wire from the megasquirt switch) and then the dash will be ready to go back in temporarily for testing purposes.

hopefully i'll have an update tonight. the owner of the garage has a truck to paint so i might have to push the car out for a few days while he does that.

Making the inevitable, inevitably easier

OH and also for anyone wondering, at this point i'm removing the cruise control system (obviously ha ha) i just didnt get around to removing the mechanical side of it yet, but it will be done

YES! it all works!

check out the terrible quality cell phone videos!

Still need to do a few things yet, but its basically back together. had to push it out so the owner of the garage could use it to paint a truck.

didn't get a chance to paint the rims but that will be done

Poor ricer never saw it coming

Moar updates, had to come home for some MS stuff and help (Thanks to unorthodoxcreations) so i figured id post my 4 pics of the progress up for the past 36 hours.

5 hour energy FTW! still going strong!!!

my windows work as well as the sunroof, need to run power for the drivers seat yet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOOO

****ing

HOOO

http://tinypic.com/m/6q8inm/4

thanks to everyone who's helped me out along the way. and a BIG thanks to jordan for helping me out, fixing my msq and the car fired right up 1st try w/ his modified msq!!!

no major pictured updates. but as of today, the interior wiring is completely finished. I will need to run power wire for the cigarette lighter since i will need a power inverter for my laptop, but that is as simple as breathing at this point.

Wrapped the extremely massive engine wiring harness, and did some more colorizing

quick turbo timer vid, you can slightly hear the engine running in the background.

my speedometer, tach, and fuel guages do not work.

hmmm....

For those who just like to look at pictures.

i hope i get a new digi cam for christmas!

need to sand and paint the intake pipe still.

had a low battery

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yay!

driving to autozone today to return a tool i rented, my car began to sound like a diesel....

then on the way home, it died......

so now i'm hoping that i get this job after new years so i can buy FireRedGT's 2.7l

just cant win....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That was december....

fast forward to today. This Sunday i am picking up that 2.7L. here are its specs

-2.7l KLde/ze
TKT Big bore Kit bottom end on a KLDE block
*10:1 Compression
*Ross pistons
*Eagle rods
KLZE Heads
*Interprep valve springs
*KL03 retainers
*Colt Cams Race grind on intake side/Turbo grind on exhaust side
*Silver Vein Powder coating on: both vc's, and coolant pipes

*There are about 3K miles on this engine, the engine was assembled in hawaii, under the ownership of PT member im2gq4u01. I then got the engine with about 2K miles on it. It has been daily driven in a 95' probe gt with no engine related issues since last winter.

-Gutted KLDE IM (no vris)
-Phenolic Spacers
-SSAC headers

This engine is ready to have boost thrown at it!

Also, I'll be going a step up with the tucked engine bay, and shaving it completely (or as close as i possible can) I'll be doing this by welding sheet metal over everything. even the firewall, this way it is smooth and there will be an extremely minimal amount of body filler.

im so stoked i cant wait!!!

MOD LIST: most of this is already on the car, this list includes what the car will have in/on it after the next motor swap

Engine/Drivetrain:

2.7l KLde/ze
*TKT Big bore Kit bottom end on a KLDE block
*10:1 Compression
*Ross pistons
*Eagle rods​
KLZE Heads
*Interprep valve springs
*KL03 retainers
*Colt Cams Race grind on intake side/Turbo grind on exhaust side
*Gutted KLDE IM (no vris)
*65mm throttlebody
*NGK V-power BKR7E11 spark plugs
*NGK plug wires with coil pack boots​
Forced Induction
*Ebay Hot pipes
*Custom I/C pipes
*T3/T4 turbo
*JDM Sport 38mm external wastegate (8.7 psi spring)
*JDM Sport 50mm blow off valve
*28x10x2.5 Bar & Plate I/C
*Solid turbo feed line (made from brake line)
*Turbo drain line made out of copper pipe
*Custom Oil Pan with drain bung
*Greddy full auto turbo timer
*Meth Injection (pieced together with low cost OEM equipment)​
Fuel System
*Walbro 255lph fuel pump
*Mazda 929 310CC injectors with PSE Injector plugs
*Ebay AFPR @ 50psi​
Engine Management
*Megasquirt I V3.0
*Complete Standalone EMS (Fuel and Spark/Timing control)
*Coil packs
*Launch control/flatshift​
Clutch system
*Fidanza 9lb flywheel
*ACT 6 puck unsprung disc
*OEM pressure plate
*OEM throw out bearing​

Exhaust

Piping
*2.5" mandrel bent galvanized steel​
Resonators
*1 12" ebay resonator with wideband bung
*1 28" magnaflow 2.5" resonator​
Muffler
*Kosfab Fatty​

Suspension/Brakes

Suspension
*KYB GR-2 struts
*Ebay coilovers (Front and rear)
*PT 16mm rear sway bar
*Custom F&R Solid 1 piece strut bars​
Brakes
*Goodridge Stainless brake lines
*Hawk HPS brake pads
*DOT-4 brake fluid (is that a mod?)​

Appearance

Chassis
*Complete re-wire of the entire car.
*Removed all un-used systems and components from car
*All wires in the engine bay are hidden
*Engine harness is on 2 main plugs for easy engine removal
*Shaved Bay, all surfaces covered with sheet metal for smoothness
*Jet black Single stage paint​
Engine
*Painted engine/trans with Rustoleum Aluminum paint
*Anodized Blue valve covers
*Anodized Blue cam gears
*Anodized Blue fuel rails
*Anodized Blue compressor housing
*Anodized Blue alternator casing
*Anodized Blue blow off valve cap
*Logos and Timing belt covers shaved off valve covers
*Stainless allen key valve cover bolts​
Exterior
*Added mud flaps on the front and rear
*Custom headlights made from Mitsubishi Eclipse aftermarket headlights
*De-baged. De-winged
*Probe GT 5 star rims​
Interior
*Reverse glow gauges
*Modified dash panel, Includes Ignition key, Push start button, and ECU kill switch
*Custom HVAC replacement panel, houses Parking light switch, Headlight switch, Fan switch, and turbo timer
*Custom pocket replacement panel, houses Boost gauge, Oil pressure gauge, and wideband

Audio

Head Unit
*Alpine CDA-9856​
Wiring
*Monster 16ga speaker wire​
Speakers
*Infinity Kappa 5x7s​

Custom Self-Fabricated Parts

*Lateral support bar for front motor mount
*Traction bars (thanks to KING6 for the how-to)
*Solid motor mounts
*MX3 rear trans mount
*Lateral crossmember for rear of engine (supports MX3 rear mount)
*Front and rear strut bars
*Megasquirt Mounting assembly behind dash
*Battery box mounted in the trunk​

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
damn! I thought I had it bad when I replaced the wiring harness' in my nissan!

Quite the build buddy!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. yeah the only way i'd ever do this again is if i was being paid alot of money. i can't say it was terrible though as i do enjoy electrical stuff. i learned alot of things too

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Thanks. yeah the only way i'd ever do this again is if i was being paid alot of money.
Atleast you've got more to show than I do!

I replaced the Harness from the ECM on! for my 03 Spec-V Sentra, just to get it running... No fancy motor swap(even though an 05 motor went in..) $1200 later it runs great. Took it for a drive, made it about 75 ft, and trans broke..

It still [email protected]

Just to get it running.. atleast you're boosted :( That amount of time into an mx-6... You got my thumbs up man!!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, my car's been sitting with a spun rod bearing since christmas. so i feel your pain

i added a complete mod list to my last post up there. Some of the stuff isn't on yet but will be done while i'm swapping in the built motor.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Wow, that's what I wish I could do with my Mx6.

Not necessarily turbo it, but to tear it down and form it into what I want like that, pretty much ground up.

Damn good work. I approve. Karma comes. :tup:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
holy crap

i've spent a bit of time removing wiring from my car but....don't know if i'd be able to spend that much time....lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
tim your freakin alive! what the hell happened to you on PT? so you finally bought that motor you were talken bout. Hope everything goes smooth

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey matt, yeah i'm still here. i took a hiatus from the pc/internet for the most part, for different reasons

·
Registered
16 Posts
understandable man, so any luck on a job? i've been workin on the pgt and she's gonna be gettin some new found power in april, but yeah thats bout it. glad to hear you doin good. are you ready for flyrtle again?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
still no luck on a job. what do you got planned for the pgt?

Also i see your back in illinois. I've been ready for flyrtle since the last one. although im not sure i'll have the money to spend at busch gardens or something. i loved how the meet was this past year. hopefully sean and andy will let me stay at there place for a week this year too ha ha.

I really had a great time when i was down

Damn man, you've been working hard since Flyrtle.
Thanks, trying to keep myself from going nuts.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts