Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it was possible to make the stock engine nice and shiney. I may not have performance stuff done to it but I think it would just look nice. Anyone ever done this?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one knows what I can use to shine it up? Cmon, I know someone out there has done this before...

·
Registered
216 Posts
and that some one would be me!!! I polished the vale cover..

all you have to do is go to sears to there tools department, ask them for a "metal polishing kit" and in this kit it should have a small little buffing thing like the ones that polish cars up but just small. and it should come with 3or 4 small bars,, theres a white one, brown one, and another one, that I cant remember the color,, anyways the one your going to use is the white one. and then you need a fast drill!

heres how:
1. sand down the valecover with some sandpaper, make sure its sanded down nice and smoth with no dirt on it.
2. now apply the cloth [it comes in a form of a drill bit] to the drill
3. take the white bar and rub some of it one the cover.
4. then with the drill start to buff that area, and after a while youll start to notice the shine

this process took me 3 hours and its still not finished. so it is time consuming., you can also do this to the manifold but you should take it completly off before you start..

this is how it came out:

http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/rsty...um&.dnm=Mvc-015s.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/rsty...um&.dnm=Mvc-014s.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

these arent good pics but you get the idea!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, how much does the kit run? Cuz I can compare whether or not I wanna polish or just powder coat it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
$6.00 or you can get the bigger kit for $12.00, shit I think that beats paying 50.00 to powder coat.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Did you take the valve cover off to polish it too or just the manifold?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I would take it off just because you can get to everything. and you could change those gasket that youmight need to change and put on some spacers on the IM.

i think i might do something to may engine bay before Sept.!!!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
a dremel, a polishing wheel and polishing compound. how hard is that?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
just asking but wouldnt the valve cover require cleaning every so often i mean the little grooves and pores are still there, when u powdercoat its all even. isnt basically more maintence(sp?) over time but gotta say looks good almost looks like chrome dude good job!!! i mean it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts