Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

so im starting to get into the performance aspect of the mx6.

ive been looking at getting some poly mounts.

i got some questions.

1.do you recomend them, they obviously hold the engine tighter, but is this going to put more strain on the engine. will it be bad for the car in the long run.

2. AWR and K6F mounts look really nice and all and im sure they do the job great. but they are very pricey if you want to get front rear and pass side.
(obviously K6F is the only ones who do the top side tranny mount)
but has anyone had any experience with the mounts amde by medieval motorsports? sold on darkstar motorsports site? (Mazda MX-6 Parts)

thx for your help guys.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
If you want to do them a cheaper way you can also fill your stock mounts with polyurethane.

Adding poly mounts to replace rubber ones will make the car more responsive and the engine will move less which is both beneficial and hurtful to the trans. The benefit is that the trans case doesn't move around as much and is less likely to break. The drawback is that the gears will take a little more pressure since the rocking of the motor isn't taking some of the inertia anymore.

I like the poly mounts in my car. I have a poly mount in the front that is attached to a tubular subframe, I have an rr-racing insert in the rear mount, and I have king6 passenger side and trans. mounts. My car shakes quite a bit at idle. So much that my glove box rattles. I don't have a problem with it since the car is not my daily but just be aware that your car will vibrate more.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx for the input ...

its an investment that is worthy investigating but i have yet to really read a thread discussing the benefits and drawbacks..

has anyone had any experience with the mounts you can pick up on darkstarmotorsports? he is offerin me front rear and pass side shipped for 160... any comments? this is oviously a good price since k6f woul price at 300 b4 ship and the awrs at 250 b4 ship. but ive yet to see someone use these. any comments?

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
chef, the front and rear mounts are the main cause for the vibration. I have both poly trans and pass mounts on my mx6, with a stock rear mount and a stock front mount w/poly inserts.. it doesnt shake anymore then it did with the stockers.

However I put a poly rear mount on my project 626, all the other mounts are stock. That sucker shakes at idle. I might be swapping that back to stock, as I ment it to be a daily driver..dont think a buyer would like the vibration

price vs competitors. One thing to think of is quality, I know AWR makes good mounts, but they only do the 2. I believe darkstar uses custom bushings (how long will they last, can they be replaced?). I use Prothane bushings, they will last practically forever, and if they need replacing, the bushings can be swapped easily. Thats the big reason for a higher price (cause im all for hooking others up with a deal, ive been doing that since I started fabbing parts for these cars). I dont think my price is terribly high as I tried to keep it competive with other vendors.. I didnt want to undercut anyone, or over charge. Also far as I know, nobody is doing the pass/trans mounts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well it's gorgeous (and not just for its looks). Was it a custom job or did a company actually make them?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
btw king.. both darkstar and awr now make pass motor mounts... but i think you are the only one with the trans mount.

atm im pretty poor due to the purchas eof numerous parts for my swap but i am always going to be looking for good deals...
and king i do say that your deal of 320 for all 4 mounts is a great one..

i do drive my car daily thus i do not want a large amount of vibration. would i get less vibration with poly inserts from RR. or would i get an equal amount. obviously the pas and trans dont incur the same amount of vibration since they are perpendicular to the motion of the engine.
(i suppose there is some more things to think about)
what about just putting in a front poly motor mount and rear inserts? (since it seems the rear mount acounts for alot of the vibration.)
doest his make sense?

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Dan- That doesn't sound too bad. Mixing inserts with full poly mounts will still be stiffer than stock. A little vibration is okay for a daily driver.

Well it's gorgeous (and not just for its looks). Was it a custom job or did a company actually make them?
It was made by a company called PMO. They went out of business a few years back. They also made big brake kits and a few other cool items.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya i didnt look to hard into there pass mount...

there all relatively priced the same other then this darkstar motorsport... when i decide what to do i will be sure to inform you all..

other then that anyone else have comments and experience with there motor mount setup?

such as hat do you use. is there vibration, etc.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i have AWR front and rear mounts and inserts on my ATX and it does vibrate quite a bit, almost like the mounts were broken. i don't mind it too much since i went from destroyed and torn mounts to these. the motor does seem tighter but that could just be a placebo effect.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chef taht sub fram is sick... so much access to the under of the car.. i really like it.

and remix yea ive figured out that the rear poly mount will create a fair amount of vibration... i may go wit ha front poly and rear insert... also for ease of install stince getting the rear mount of would be terrible.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
atm im pretty poor due to the purchas eof numerous parts for my swap but i am always going to be looking for good deals...
Go to energysuspensionparts.com and order a pound of polyurethane mix for $30, your choice of hardness from 60a, 80a, 90a and have enough to do all four mounts plus an extra one if you want. The procedure is straight forward, you can do all your mounts for about $30 or pay 8 times that for the same result.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts