Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever raced one, my friend has one and he says he will kill me, i dont think it will be that easy, we both have autos, so any info will be good. thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well.. to tell ya the truth.. depending on mods you MAY have a chance... A new Pontiac GT can almost hang w/ my Thunderbird... so it'll be tough, but with mods you may do fairly good.. If you do race... good luck! (P.S. Hope he has a traction control system.. if he does.. as sooon as he gets wheelspin it'll throttle down his engine... :) )

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I raced a 4 door one, he just barely beat me--my clutch slips here and there--I'm sure it won't be long before I replace it. It would be a close race--unless you have some good mods.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you have a V-6 and a 5-spd you will take him my friend at work has a silver 00 GT 2 door, i took my spare out and all the shit out of my car and i beat him by almost a car lenght. I only have headers a and a K&N.

·
Registered
441 Posts
are u sure its a GT and not a GTP if its a GTP dont even bother they have a supercharger...but a gt you should be ok...Good luck and let us know...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Quick guideline, assuming this is a current-gen Grand Prix:

GT = neck & neck. Naturally-aspirated 3.8 OHV V-6. Heavier than the MX-6, but an absolute torquemeister on the bottom end. You'll want to rev to get ahead.

GTP = left in the dust. Same V-6, but with an Eaton supercharger. They make 240 hp without an intercooler. Don't bother unless you have NOS or a TK turbo kit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have no clue when it comes to racing one, I've never done it, but I hate the spoiler that comes factory on them...reminds me of the aliens from Pitch Black. I don't know why, I just don't like the way that they look.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm not going to lie.. the GTP has a bit to be desired IF... you are having a rolling start and going about 40. Downshift HARD and stay on it. it will take a sec or two for the GTP to catch up. I'll post pics of mine soon (getting it detailed tomorrow maybe).. but that is where I noticed my GTP to be the slowest. Try this trick and give him a good scare, but if you get a chance to try him from the stop the only chance you'd have is if he left his Traction Control Ststem (TCS) on and he got a little wheelspin.. it turns off boost and throttles down the engine!!!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mazx6 said:
If you have a V-6 and a 5-spd you will take him my friend at work has a silver 00 GT 2 door, i took my spare out and all the shit out of my car and i beat him by almost a car lenght. I only have headers a and a K&N.
Be careful.. the 1999's are a little faster than the 2000's and 2001's because pontiac started taking a little torque away from the m in like 2001... knocking it from like 260ft/lbs to 227ft/lbs or something like that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts