Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for a little bit of time now, my idle has had a popping noise in it once my car has warmed up. It’s a 94 v6 5 speed. The popping gets worse as the car warms up more and more and eventually gets to a point where it starts popping under acceleration from a stop. I’m at a loss for this problem and haven’t been able to find anything in the forums like I’m experiencing.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Strange. Haven't heard of any symptoms like that before.
What is the idle rpm (warm engine)?
How frequent are the popping noises (like one every few seconds, one per second, or more frequent than that)?
When you hear the popping noise under acceleration, does the engine seem to have less power than normal (like a misfire)?
Does it run fine, other than the noise?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It
Strange. Haven't heard of any symptoms like that before.
What is the idle rpm (warm engine)?
How frequent are the popping noises (like one every few seconds, one per second, or more frequent than that)?
When you hear the popping noise under acceleration, does the engine seem to have less power than normal (like a misfire)?
Does it run fine, other than the noise?
She runs great other than the popping. The idle rpms while warm with no AC on is just under the second line which I think is like 600ish rpm? It’s like right underneath that line. The popping is one or two pops every few seconds continuously. The popping makes the acceleration feel like slightly jerky, but not really a loss of power? It’s hard to explain and I can’t find anything on my problem on the forums.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I think the second line is 750 rpm, so just under it would be 700 rpm, which is about what it should be at idle.

The popping sounds a bit like backfiring. Unburned fuel in the hot exhaust pipe.

I don't know what's causing it, but think I would first take a look at the spark plugs, to see if any of them are abnormal. And maybe the spark plug wires too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In my experience, if little loss of overall power, it is an adjustment needed to the EGR system or the fuel idle controls, or possibly a small air leak around the throttle body gasket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts