Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some research on the Mazda Lantis 2.0 kfze model and was surprised to find out that porsche helped design the car. I also read, and i don't know how accurate this is, that a porsche engineer improved the design of some of the ze engines. I've also heard from some australian and new zealander members that the LSD tranny that fits ze engines was optional for the lantis, i think the lantis type R. I've seen pictures of this car and it clearly looks like a porsche design, it's funny I don't think the car was ever sold in europe.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
silent_strike said:
I was doing some research on the Mazda Lantis 2.0 kfze model and was surprised to find out that porsche helped design the car. I also read, and i don't know how accurate this is, that a porsche engineer improved the design of some of the ze engines. I've also heard from some australian and new zealander members that the LSD tranny that fits ze engines was optional for the lantis, i think the lantis type R. I've seen pictures of this car and it clearly looks like a porsche design, it's funny I don't think the car was ever sold in europe.
Please post links or references. Sounds very interesting.
-Garrett

G

·
Look up the TAG Porsche V6.. it was the predecessor to what was later to become the Mazda V6 motors..

It was a 1.8 v6 HEAVILY turboed.

The TAG Porsche was originally meant to be boosted HEAVILY, and McLaren ran it to many F1 championships..

The design was funded by some saudi prince and built for him by Porsche..

Porsche later handed the design to Mazda, since they wanted to get out of non-boxer motors..

But, it seems that they changed their mind recently and now have a v6 in the Cayenne SUV.

Rob

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I believe the VIRS system was invented by Porsche as well..

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm surprise no one has mention this:

But many of us on the site considers the Mx6 a...

"Poor man's Porsche."

I have never really learn where that originated from but I guess this would explain alot of things. I did know that Porsche has something to do with the KL but didn't know it was a direct descendent from that 80's Tag V6.

Could you provide some further proof of that? As I have not seen anything that definitive about the origin of the KL, maybe I should search some more. This is certainly something exciting. I have been around Mazda's for a long time and have never heard of this fact...enlighten us further please.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I searched for KF, ZE, Lantis, porsche on the japanese yahoo page (using the translator) and came up with these pages.

This one mentions porsche helping with the V6 tuning
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe....jp/h2d/lantis_museum/about_mazda_lantis.html

This one says porsche helped with styling and tuned the power up to the 170ps
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~haha/lantische/whats.htm

If only we had someone that read japanese to figure out what the pages really say. The translater ain't too good :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
in south africa we had a mazda called an Astina, i lookes similar to the car on that page, i found a few things on google, nothing important tho, jus thot id contribute.

·
Registered
592 Posts
actually they call the vw beetle a poor man's porsche because it is the same layout as a porsche. Some parts are even interchangable.

I don't think porsche would be silly enough to make a front wheel drive car. Everyone knows real performance cars are RWD or AWD @-

oh I can feel a flaming coming on....

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
}) })

:flamer: Baja Wes :rocket:

:V Baja Wes :jump:

He he, just wanted to be the first.....

BUT FWD DOES BETTER IN THE SNOW THAN RWD DOES!!!

Alright....AWD :rolleyes:

Laters
Ryan

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
cheerios165 said:
i thought that was the VW corrado, or so ive heard
I've heard the same thing. For lack on a better name, I prefer to think of my Sprint as the poor mans ZX3. Or at least the mildly retarded, eccentric man's ZX3.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
in summary, hmm...hmmm, my car's engine was touched up by porsche(sort of), some of my electrical sensors were made by mitsubishi, most of the parts were made in japan then assembled in a ford factory in Michigan u.s.a. and then sold at a mazda dealership.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ford came out with the Star TX 3 and Star TX 5 which are basically simliar to the MX3 and MX6, no joke... I lived in Tawian and we owned a Star TX 5. I'm sure its eaither TX 5 or Star TX 5, I don't remember..

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
On the subject of Porsche helping out with the VRIS system...Has anybody seen another manufacturer come out with a variable intake manifold that works quite so well? Or is so much fun?

Nissan apparently tried in the Spec V sentra....But they're ass slow.

Laters
Ryan

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
dillinr said:
On the subject of Porsche helping out with the VRIS system...Has anybody seen another manufacturer come out with a variable intake manifold that works quite so well? Or is so much fun?

Nissan apparently tried in the Spec V sentra....But they're ass slow.

Laters
Ryan
all of the 3.5L vq's have it as well.

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Ah, I thought so...I would imagine they work well, the 350Z is a nice car... quick too. But...Are they as fun to screw around with...You know, you hit that magical 4250 and BOOM! Power! :tup:

Laters
Ryan

·
Banned
98 Posts
rwd vs awd vs fwd

For the guy that said RWD has better performance, and the guy that followed up by not having anything to say about AWD... there are advantages and disadvantages to each type of drive train. RWD has the obvious performance advantage. It's been proven that, if properly tuned, or even stock, RWD will outperform AWD or FWD in dry conditions. AWD and FWD are superior to RWD in the rain or snow, or any conditions where there is something that forces the car to break traction easily. FWD has the ease of use. Under light acceleration and normal driving, FWD is more stable than RWD. RWD is a bit quirkier and more sensitive to steering. So if all you care about is dry weather performance, RWD is the way to go. Now, RWD also doesn't get great gas mileage. The drive shaft has quite a bit more weight than the FWD drive train. Oh, and FWD is easier and more economical to make. At the same time, FWD suffers from torque steer in high powered cars, and wheel hop if your chassis is a bit weak. FWD gets the best gas mileage of the lot. AWD gets the worst. AWD has superior traction under drag start conditions. FWD has the worst. So, RWD is superior to FWD in dry performance. FWD is superior to RWD in wet performance, and more stable. Oh, especially in turns, FWD is much more stable. You tap a RWD bumper, they go careening into a wall. Now... AWD... the Evo Empire... why AWD is not perfect. One, gas mileage is killed. Two, overall weight of the car is increased. Oh yeah, FWD tends to be lighter in general than the other two types. Which is why our MX-6's, even though they're bigger, are almost the same weight as RX-7's. Anyway, AWD tends to suffer from understeer, much like FWD cars. There are ways to get around it by tuning the car properly. Parasitic loss over the drive train is greater in AWD. And probably the greatest weakness of AWD, is it makes the driver incredibly, unbelievably overconfident. Two examples. My next door neighbor got an STi. Now my MX-6 has a few modifications, but it's by no means fast yet. This was prior to all my suspension/chassis mods, prior to any mods other than the CAI, headers, and testpipe. Oh... and it was prior to me having not bald tires. We have this road near where I live where people race... or where I race, and take times, and where everyone else races and makes up times. You wouldn't believe the crap they make up. But I digress. I kicked his @$$ all over the place. He eventually lost control in a turn around here and slammed into a telephone poll. All this time, he was telling me how much faster he is than me because he has a faster car. And for the really embarassing tidbit... on the uphill mountain battles, horsepower REALLY matters. The downhill, you CAN win with an underpowered car... but the uphill... it's so unlikely. Orito and Tsuchiya(Drift King) battled it out, uphill and downhill on a mountain. Tsuchiya drove his AE86 with 160 hp. Orito, another professional driver, was driving the STi with 280 hp. That's 120 hp difference. Tsuchiya kicked his @$$ both uphill and downhill. Also, FWD can also keep up with both RWD and AWD in the circuits. It will tend to lose in drag races. On mountains, FWD tends not to be quite as good. That's about all I have to say though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts