Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will it hurt my engine, a KL03, if I drive normally on 5 cylinders?
I've been running over a week now on it and haven't been experiencing any problems. Sometimes on the freeway but mainly sticking to surface streets and keeping my rpms below 3000 not really straining the engine much. So tonight I've been experiencing low energy when starting the vehicle. It progressively worsened throughout the night and finally recently this evening it wouldn't start, I needed a jump. Is this my alternator? or would this in any way be related to running the engine on only the 5 cylinders? Anybody and everybody I need your opinions please.

I am intending on replacing the engine with a KLZE as soon as the engine, the mechanic, and the money meet but need to have the mobility of a vehicle. I can manage without if it is damaging until proper repairs are done. Appreciate any advice given. ~dpf

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Why is it running on 5 cyl?

I don't think it would be good for your engine and your exhaust system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a sparkplug came unseated and forced out stripping its threading. A helicoil? was done to put it back in but the piston was never repaired as it did not work after the new sparkplug was seated. I went to do a compression test? at an autozone to get some more info on the engine but they didn't want to touch it for liability reasons on whether or not the sparkplug would seat again. I have no trust in the mechanic who did the work, as eager as he is to do work on it I feel he will be ripping me off more. So I've secured money for a new engine but until I line up a mechanic, engine, and complete the transaction I must use my car to get around for work purposes as well as schooling.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yea you are putting unburnt fuel-mix into the exhaust witch is probobly burning inside the exhaust system .It will be getting hot back at the muffler and probobly melting the polystyrene lining, boot and fuel release cables in the boot. I’ve seen it happen; the muffler was so hot it even melted the carpet !.
It probobly got progressively worse because the CPU has been adjusting the timing to compensate for the missing cylinder. I can’t explain why the battery is flat; maybe coincidently the alternator or battery has died.
So in closing the engine is already "hurt" you just gotta worry about the other things that you wont to keep after you change the motor!!!
Good luck with her...
Mr. MX6

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are there any signs to indicate whether the problem is the alternator or battery aside from testing the battery?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
With the alternator..
Only if you can get the motor to run..

Put a voltmeter across the + and - of the battery. If the alternator is good the voltage should be higher with the engine running {about 14v}

OR
When the engine running turn on the head lights..."Rev" the engine, if the alternator is putting out a voltage the headlights should get brighter..

OR {but not recommended over others}
With the engine running pull a lead of the battery, if the alternator is good the engine should keep running.

Alternatively if you cant get the motor running you can take the alternator of the engine to an auto electricians workshop. And he can test it on his workbench. {Bugger that}
With the battery ...Have you tried to recharge it {with a plug in to A.C. mains charger}

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
On another tact ...I'd be inclined to get the mechanic to fix up his stuff up.
From what I have read a mechanic has put in a helicoil. These things are pretty good and should work well .Of course they have to be installed correctly.
If you have no confidence in the mechanical ability of your guy then take it somewhere else, explain the situation and see if they can help you out .You can have them remove the heli and reinstall a new one if need be.
If you don’t the old engine {if you still go ahead with the swap} won’t be worth a bean!!{I'm assuming that other than the plug thread every thing else is ok with it, has it got a lot of mileage on it}
You should be able to sell it ..Or keep it for a spare...You know it’s the kind of thin every one should have just lying around in case you knead one!!:p
Plus if you got it fixed up it would take the urgency out of the matter at hand.
Mr. MX6

1 - 7 of 7 Posts