Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was surfing around on Corksport's site and looked at their J-spec engines. It says the engine is a 1.8L T4 Cyl. (BP Turbo) w/ 210 hp. (from GTR) but could someone tell me what GTR that is and if it would fit in my 1st Gen. 6? The engine is $1875 and on www.corksport.com . Also here's the link to the picture of the engine: http://www.corksport.com/gtrengine.jpg

Thanks,
Gomer

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
That's probably a variant of the B series engine used in the 323GTX. Not sure if it'd be worth it to put in our cars though. You can get way more than 210hp for a lot less aggravation with our current engines. Plus, you'll have less torque with a 1.8.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My problem though is that I have a MX-6 LX which is an N/A. With that engine I would be able to put upgrade the turbo etc. and since there isn't a whole lot of tuning for the N/A MX-6 engine it seems more logical.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
True, but it might not match up to your transmission. The 323 is AWD. I might be wrong though. The only way to find out is to ask corksport.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
just follow from first to last statement.
F6 was avalible in gen one 626, as well as later LANTIS (astina 323),
Lantis was avalible with B6 in the same year,
323 (non astina same shape as GTR) was avalible with B6
....hence one engine bay could house F6>B6>BP.....main word could transmission and drive shafts/suspention would need some work done.

to those who think that conversion is not a good idea......just think Mx6 that will have 50/50 weight ratio....plus the engine could be suped up too

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Gomer: For that kind of money you can get a turbo kit for your LX. Here is what I have found from one place:

"I can make a system for the non-turbo cars. I also offer a weld-it-yourself turbo header kit for $175. It will allow someone to get a good used T3 from a wrecker like a Mercur XR4ti, T-bird or similar T3 bolt pattern turbo and make it fir. Both the engine and turbo flange are CNC machined, and the pipes/elbows are thick-wall for an easy welding and strong long lasting crack free manifold. I will also sell the manifold kit, T3T04 hybrid turbo, and downpipe flange and pipes for $1000. You can post this also, as the blocks and engines are identical except for the turbo pistons which drop right in and are less than $60 each at the local Mazda dealership.

Thomas (Geoff) Knight
Thomas Knight Turbos
Ph: 786-243-2000
22050 SW 155 Ave.
Miami, FL 33170
BOOSTHEAD.COM
KNIGHTTURBOS.COM

Hope this will help you. For $1000 you have the kit, then just get the ecu reprogrammed for the turbo and get an intercooler from a PGT and you are all set, plus you don't have to spend money on shipping nor wait for however long for your engine to arrive. Good luck man.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTR

I have talked to corksport and the GTR is very hard to get, I would get the regular 1.8T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts